No announcement yet.

Joining turret lugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's only just occurred to me that the original version of this amp used 2 power tubes !!! And although the designer (dave hunter) changed the amp in the second edition of his book to use only one power tube he must have left the old spec for the transformer in the build notes !!!!!
    So I think I should be fine with the classic tone princeton replacement
    Thanks for your help guys oh and if anyone's selling any silver plated wire I'm not interested !!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info chuck another nugget of information to digest, running with that in mind it surely makes this amp design a little awkward as it is noted that because it is cathode biased the power tube and preamp tube can be swapped out for different types each with a different filament current draw ? Does this mean I should try use tubes that bring me closest to the stated 2.25A as a couple of the possible combinations would be way below that !!!

Comment

I always buy Hammond transformers, right here in the UK. No need to buy anything in the US. You save on exchange losses, shipping and the extortionate VAT collection fee. Other amp parts are available here, too. Try Philip at Bluebell Audio - I get my transformers from him. He also has other amp parts such as turrets. Modulus amps are another good resource.

Comment

Thanks Mick I'll give them a look

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvini View Post
            It's only just occurred to me that the original version of this amp used 2 power tubes !!! And although the designer (dave hunter) changed the amp in the second edition of his book to use only one power tube he must have left the old spec for the transformer in the build notes !!!!!
            So I think I should be fine with the classic tone princeton replacement
            Thanks for your help guys oh and if anyone's selling any silver plated wire I'm not interested !!!!
            I've been wondering "which Princeton are we talking about here?" The original original Fender Princeton was a tweed in the early 50's, single output tube, sort of a larger-box Champ. 1960 Fender started their brown tolex amps and at that time the name Princeton was applied to a 2 x 6V6 circuit turning out a glorious 10 watts. I've owned a couple of the brownies, and they're quite nice amps.

Select your PT according to the amp version you're building. AND thanks to Mick for excellent advice obtaining parts in the UK.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

CPC carry a lot of the Farnell range and usually have free delivery for orders >£5 (before VAT) CPC UK | Electronic Components | Electronic Parts
              Not so good for some of the more obscure parts I might want but at least links for manufacturer's info on the parts are included and I know that the provenience is genuine (as opposed to buying potential fake stuff from ebay).

For obscure stuff only available in the USA, Mouser usually works out best, delivery free for orders >£30 last time I tried.

Thumbs up for Bluebell and Modulus.
              Last edited by pdf64; 02-08-2018, 11:42 AM.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                It is usually for jewellery. In a tube amp it has no benefit - plain old tinned copper wire is perfectly good. I buy it on the reel from RS in the UK. BTW, Farnell only charges £15 for components that come from the US. UK/European stock does not carry this surcharge - just use the filters to exclude US stock.
                I have it on good authority that silver wire keeps werewolves away from your amp.
                I just don't think that Randall Aiken would lie about something like that.
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I might use silver plated wire for bare bus if the cabinet were made of Plexiglas In fact, I even considered it once for a show. Cosmetics aside I wouldn't bother.

Unless I was in werewolf territory
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    ..Unless I was in werewolf territory
                    Chuck, you hit the nail on the head. You can never be too careful when it comes to these things.
                    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I recall from my days of interest in radio that silver plated wire was used in VHF-and-above circuits to take advantage of 'skin effect' where alternating current density is greater on the outside of a conductor. A silver plated wire offers almost the same conductivity as a solid silver wire above a certain frequency.

Comment

And that frequency is the deal, it is way above audio.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                          I recall from my days of interest in radio that silver plated wire was used in VHF-and-above circuits to take advantage of 'skin effect' where alternating current density is greater on the outside of a conductor. A silver plated wire offers almost the same conductivity as a solid silver wire above a certain frequency.
                          The skin effect is the reason the industry take advantage of CCS (copper coated steel) coax cable. Silver is only a marginally better conductor than copper. But another application they commonly use silver plated copper in teflon insulated wire. I believe the silver holds up better under the heat of the extrusion process.

Comment

Working...
                          X