1962 Ampeg Reverberocket screws and foot switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    BTW a phillips screwdriver is made with vodka and phillips milk of magnesia.
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    No shit?
    Ah! You caught the attention of the retired members with that one. Two birds with one stone
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

On the screwdriver theme, I recently learned (will it ever stop?) about another type...

Besides Phillips & Pozidriv, there is JIS (Japan Industry Standard) used on motorcycles like my Suzuki DL650 which has a slightly different shape - the end is ground flatter.

A mismatch can lead to messing up screwheads, so beware all you screwballs!

There, after 6 years I finally posted something that was not asking for help. Gotta say I get as much in giggles (& occasional snort) as tech advice on this forum
      I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

Then look up Reed & Prince, also called Frearson, which is similar to phillips, but instead of the fillet between points, the tip is straight crosspoints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, that was a fun read - thanks Enzo. I like the pentalobe...

And now to do something productive with my day
          I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

I first saw the tri-wing holding trim strips in place on the Washington DC Metro (subway). I got some, and it seemed about impossible to stick anything in the hole and turn it. A lot of the other types you can find a size of flat screwdriver blade that will wedge into the hole and turn out the screw. The tri wouldn't let me get a grip.

I needed security screws in another industry, and found the spanners were the hardest to extract without the proper driver.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The JIS screws have a punched dot on the head. I didn't know this until about 18 months ago, when I watched a TV programme about a guy rebuilding a Japanese Strat copy and he used the screwdrivers he'd got for his Japanese bikes.

Comment

I always used that dot when sorting mixed screws in a jar. I used the dot as an indicator the screw was metric.

Comment

I still need the construction details of the foot switch. Here's what it looks like, but I'm seeing double from looking for any pics that show the side and bottom. Does anyone out there have one of these? I'd hate to go to the trouble of fabricating one only to find it was just as easy to get it 100% with the correct info available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04-REVERBROCKET.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	848694

Comment

Are you trying to make a clone of the original? Because any box with two buttons will serve.

Comment

I thought the FtSw looked like this:

Name:	DUALFOOTSWITCHCATALOGSHOT.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	848695

https://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-1...vintage-ampegs

Edit: the one that I have shown is from 1964.
                      The one in the OP's post is before '64.

1962 Ampeg R12-R

Name:	1962 Ampeg RvbRckt R12-R.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	848700
                      Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-16-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        1962 Ampeg R12-R
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]47177[/ATTACH]
                        That seems to be the ticket.
                        Here's another pic:

Name:	62fs.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	848701
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          Are you trying to make a clone of the original? Because any box with two buttons will serve.
                          Yes - I want it as close as I can get to the original. Out of all the pics that I can find though, I can't see how the top and bottom are folded and attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            Yes - I want it as close as I can get to the original.
                            Then, revisiting the screws, maybe use square drive heads. They can be had in round head wood screws. Actually pan head, but some pan heads are rounder than others. The "look" would be more similar and square drive is common enough that it shouldn't be a problem for maintenance.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'm now not certain about the screw type. This amp has the original handle screws and these are Phillips, as are the other screws inside the cabinet. Only the back panel screws are non-original. With all of the '62 amps I've looked at, they are either clutch-head or Phillips, not a mixture. Given that '62 was the transition year between the two types, it could be that this amp left the factory with Philips head. I had a '64 AC30 for restoration recently and it had features from '63. Again, a transition year where amps from March '64 could be a hybrid. Some more research is needed to clear this up.

Comment

Here are some pics I grabbed for the ft sw.

The first pic shows rivets at the back.
                                My take is that the side panels have flaps and are separate & riveted in.

Name:	Ampeg R12.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	848707

In the second two pics (could this amp be any cleaner? What a find!), you can see the construction of the upper shell.
                                It appears to be one piece and the upper rear part overlaps the lower rear.
                                (Good luck with all of those bends. Most probably special tooling was used.)

Ampeg R12-R.pdf
                                Ampeg Ft Sw.pdf
                                Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-17-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X