can i mix speaker wattage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i mix speaker wattage ?

I have a Peavey XXL100 and I am building a cab for it. I was thinking Id like to put in 2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 Celestion Vintage 30's. That is 2 speakers at 75W and 2 at 60W. Is that not a good idea or would it be ok? The amp itself is a 100W output max.
    Thanks for your input!!
    Ben

Of course you can. The amp has no idea what speakers or how many of them are in your cab. All it sees it the total impedance of the cab. The amp wil provide the 100 watts, but it has no idea what the wattage rating of your speakers are in the cab. The four speakers will share power equally. In this case that means 25w per speaker, each of them can handle that.

Just as an example though, say you had three 50w speakers and one little 15 watt speaker. if you put those in a 4x12, then the 100 watts would still divide equally, and that means the 15 watter would still get 25w and burn up.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by benindavis View Post
      I have a Peavey XXL100 and I am building a cab for it. I was thinking Id like to put in 2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 Celestion Vintage 30's. That is 2 speakers at 75W and 2 at 60W.
      I'm gonna ask you another question -- are all four of your speakers rated at 8 ohms, or all four rated at 16-ohms, or are your speakers a mix of both different impedances AND different power handling ratings?
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

ohms

All the speakers have the same ohms So, I take it Im good to go ahead as long as Im not using a speaker with too low of wattage or different ohms.

Comment

Working...
        X