increase power output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increase power output?

I have a small Peavey amp. Its output is 12w its just a lil ol practice amp, but I love the sound. The cabinet is getting kinda rickety so I was thinking that Id build another and put in a better speaker.. I was thinkin.. is it possible to get more wattage by some means? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks!
    Ben

...IF the power transformer (maybe) and the output transformer (not likely) can handle the additional currents (yes, plural!), you could simply slap another output tube into the circuit in parallel with the current one.

...it would definitely NOT have optimum OT impedance loading, but adding a second speaker in parallel with the existing one should do the trick.

...the "currents" mentioned earlier are these:

PT--does it have enough Filament Voltage current capacity to handle the added power tube...as well as approximately TWICE as much power tube plate current?

OT--can it handle TWICE the current without "saturating" almost immediately...as well as can it handle approximately TWICE the power transmission from tube(s) through to speakers(s)?

P.S.--vacuum tube amp assumed.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-27-2007, 03:19 AM.
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Or is it solid state?

Really, if you want it to be louder, the easiest thing to do is buy a more efficient speaker. When yo double the power of an amplifier, the loudness goes up 3db, not a lot. Put the other way, even if you double the power, you only get 3db more volume, not a lot.

Every speaker has an efficiency rating - how loud it gets for a given amount of power. Guiutar speakers are typically in the 90-100db range of efficiency. Getting a speaker with 3db greater efficiency will have exactly the same effect as doubling the power into the original speaker. So if the existing speaker is maybe 96db efficiency, and you find a 101db speaker, that is 5db greater efficiency, and you will gain a net increase of 3-4db in loudness.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo!

I had a feeling maybe just changing the speaker to a better speaker would help out .Now I got some sage advice to go with my feeling! COOOL!
        Thanks again!
        Ben

Comment

Working...
        X