Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Guitar Output Transformers

Hi,

Maybe it's not news but I just noticed that Hammond now have a whole line of guitar output transformers, power transformers and chokes.:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/guitarLine.htm

Wow! They're even made to be "drop-in" replacements!

What a great idea. Why let Mercury Magnetics corner the market by selling overpriced ToneClones?
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I've never bought a transformer from Hammond, but have had their "Classic" page bookmarked for a coupla years.

There's some good app data there too!

Comment

thx for the link! Wonder how they will measure up?

Comment

i'd bet that they'd measure up well enough. i've never had a bad result in using a Hammond transformer, so i wouldn't hesitate to try one of the new line.

what i would like to see though, is detailed specifications about each one of the new guitar amp line of transformers. the other Hammonds list all of the voltage and current rating data, but that info doesn't seem to be available yet for the new line. it looks like its printed on the labels on the top of the iron, but its too hard to read from the photos.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

FYI, I checked at Angela.com yesterday afternoon, and they already have the new Hammond iron listed on their Hammond page. The prices are very reasonable -- in-line with the rest of the Hammond line.

compare those prices to the absolutely outrageous prices that you have to pay for a Mercury Magentics "ToneClone" and you'll definitely think twice about ever ordering from Mercury.

This is just what the amp building community needed. Its good to see that Hammond has woken up to the needs of the guitar amp customers.

Comment

This is just what the amp building community needed. Its good to see that Hammond has woken up to the needs of the guitar amp customers.
              Considering the quality of their other OTs I'd also bet that they will perform very well. I like the prices as well although Sovtek /New Sensor still have the lowest prices on guitar output transformers, especially the MOP50-T.
              The only technical data I could find is the frequency range /70Hz - 15kHz/ printed on top.
              By the way what's the deal with the 1750P /JCM900 replacement/? Why the primary is listed as 126, 500, 2,000?

Comment

hammond tranny's

i would like to add that this is a bench mark in the guitar amp hobby. when a company like hammond puts in a line specific to us. i remmember years ago talking to mm on the phone about guitar amp transformers, he said "i dont know what that is, what specs do you want" now look what they did with the tone clone line.

Comment

yes, what did MM to with the tone clone line? as soon as they developed a good reputation among a few reviewers, they immediately started to price gouge and the prices went through the roof. when i asked why my dealer cost tripled on some items I was told that it was because of runaway materials costs. its interesting that even though the MM prices were subject to runaway price gouging, Hammond managed to keep their prices under control. it was obvious to me that MM was just milking the cow for all it was worth.

Comment

Working...
                  X