Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50s AMi Jukebox Amp

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me here. I've been cleaning out my garage and found this old AMi jukebox amp from the 50s. It looks like it's all there but I'm still nervous to plug it in. I don't want to fry the transformers etc (or myself) I was planning on finding a new home for it, but I'm not sure if it works or not. I realize for sure it will need a complete overhaul, caps & tubes etc. Is it safe to plug it in? And see if it fires up? Even for a minute or two. Please see attached pics. I put a new 2 amp fuse in it.

Cheers

Paul
    Attached Files

If it were in my shop, I'd fire it up slowly on a variac and monitor current. Do you have a variac, light bulb limiter, etc.? If not, it should be safe to try if fused properly. IF FUSED PROPERLY, the fuse should go before sparks fly- if there are any problems.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! No variac here.. I have some 2 amp fuses that I use in my 60s Fender amps (Super Reverb). I'm assuming since this amp calls for a 2 amp fuse, it would be ok to put one of those in?

Comment

I don't see why not.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Post a phone video of when you turn it on! We all love to see smoke! Btw.. if it's just the amp section it might not turn on without jumpering a connector or something.

Comment

Look on ebay and see what old AMI amps are selling for. You might sell it to a jukebox collector/restorer, and then buy some other carcass to build in.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

AMi D amp

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Look on ebay and see what old AMI amps are selling for. You might sell it to a jukebox collector/restorer, and then buy some other carcass to build in.
              That's what I was considering doing.. But I'm not sure what to list it as condition wise. For parts, or working condition. If it just needs a rebuild and tubes, that would be ideal. But if the transformer (s) are shot it's not worth much of anything

Comment

As is, for parts or repair.

Go to RG Keen's geofex.com page and find the tech tip on transformer testing. A VERY simple tester is made from a battery and a neon bulb.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  As is, for parts or repair.

Go to RG Keen's geofex.com page and find the tech tip on transformer testing. A VERY simple tester is made from a battery and a neon bulb.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                  X