Silvertone 1432

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    It can't be both, so the heater is glowing or not?
    Heater glows in the tester, not in circuit. I couldn't believe it so I turned off the lights - no glow
    I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

Check the heater voltage directly on the socket pins. Also check that the correct pins are wired for the heater. It's possible someone rewired the socket for a different tube.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Check the heater voltage directly on the socket pins. Also check that the correct pins are wired for the heater. It's possible someone rewired the socket for a different tube.
        Pretty sure that's what I did, although it may have been happy hour by then. I'll check again when sober. And yes, someone has messed in there before me, so...

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          So with your meter across pins 3 & 4 you have 6.8VAC, but heater does not light? And tube lights up in another circuit? Sounds like a socket problem, have you cleaned the pins?
          Turns out pins & everything in sight was pristine - but 50+ year old socket was tired. Tightened up the socket, tube glows, trem works!

Lesson learned - check the obvious first. So my amateur status is confirmed...

Thanks to all who helped - g1 & Enzo share the prize this time - you both nailed it as a socket problem

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Also inspect the pins from the top to see if one of those has a mangled or spread socket pin.

If pin 5 is a plate, and the tube is not glowing, then no current will flow, so it is normal to see high B+ there.
            Yup, spread socket pin it is (was)

Comment

Picking up this thread with avid interest in 2019.

Originally posted by mtlbasslad View Post
              Yup, spread socket pin it is (was)
              I am working on my own 185.10201 now. Beautiful amp that a friend is bartering a Hickock tube tester for my repair.
              I thought this would be simple, but I discovered his schematic was a 185.10301, and the chassis is wired with a bunch of components not on the schem.
              Anyway, I am following this thread and troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
              X