No announcement yet.

New Project, Finger's Crossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber on the idler is not all dried out but I'll look into something to put on it anyway. The spindle was just slipping on the rubber of the idler wheel, the shrink tubing was to test it out. The spindle has nothing on it and is almost looks like it polished from rubbing on the rubber. It works for now but I'll look into what can be done. It's going to be more of a conversation piece at his house maybe play a record or two occasionally. He just wanted me to get it working. It may end up as a guitar or harp amp at some point.
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

That's possible but it's up to the owner, as stated below probably just going to be a conversation piece at his house.
      It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Is there a spring to hold the idler wheel in contact with the spindle and platter?

The rubber should feel, well, rubbery, not like hard plastic.

Mineral spirits is a great rubber rejuvenator. We use that in the pinball world - where every machine is full of rubber rings. Wipe it on, it usually rejuves the rubber. Don't soak the rubber or it will swell up like those growing dinosaurs for kids - soak them in water.

Actually gasoline works too, but is way to dangerous around electronics to use.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes there is a tension spring.
          The rubber on the idler wheel is soft enough that I can push a fingernail in which leaves a slight mark but the mark goes away after a bit. I'll check it again and maybe give a bit Mineral spirits, probably can't hurt. I have some here.

Gasoline works great for a lot of things, I use a lot in ways I probably shouldn't.

Comment

You replaced the motor grommets. Did you use real turntable motor grommets? Or just grommets?

Oh, if you give the platter a spin by hand, does it go around and around? Or does it stop real quick? I usually have to pull the platter and remove all the old lube. And relube
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just used regular grommets for now, just trying to get things going then change later. The platter stops quick when you give it a spin but the spindle and idler spin freely with the platter removed. All the old lube and crud has been removed. What's the best lube for the motor and idler bushings.

Comment

Working...
              X