Thread: "Anonymous" Net Browsing? TOR Browser "hides" you? Think again .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 354/5
    Given: 356/5

"Anonymous" Net Browsing? TOR Browser "hides" you? Think again .

Short ago I read about TOR Browser, which hides your IP by sending you through a Foreign server which changes on every logon and is hailed as "NSA Proof".
    I tested and found that yes, everytime "I am in another Country", be it France, Germany, South Africa and actually anu other.

Now a guy investigated it and found that, well, **maybe** itīs NSA Proof (have huge doubts about that anyway) ..... so what? , itīs 99% funded (and I would suspect: *run*, what else?) by a branch of CIA, the FBI and a few other Security Agencies.
    Why doesnīt it surprise me?

The guy who investigated it got some 2500 pages of Official Documents proving it, he divided them in smaller, more readable blocks, but all are hosted in a Cloud:
    https://www.documentcloud.org/public...r-the-Dark-Web

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    BBG is a CIA branch dedicated to controlling "Broadcasting" and other public communication media (including Internet )

https://surveillancevalley.com/blog/...overnment-ties

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 319/0
    Given: 255/0
    To make it plain and straightforward (obviously a rarity in the so called intelligence community) TOR touts itself as being a dodge whereby one can practice internet anonymity, whereas in reality it is owned and operated by NSA and their friends. So what they do is gather a list of users who would rather be anonymous, when in reality TOR=NSA=DIA=CIA=FBI=ETC..... know perfectly well who they are. AND what they're doing. That is why I have avoided it from the outset, and so should anyone else.

On the other hand there's a big difference between gathering a huge shit pile of data, and being able to seriously analyze it to find serious - not wannabe - terrorists & criminals, and even less likely to be able to prevent them from carrying out their plans. Isn't that right Chief?

I dunno, we'll have to run this by Agent Larrabee....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 246/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    To make it plain and straightforward (obviously a rarity in the so called intelligence community) TOR touts itself as being a dodge whereby one can practice internet anonymity, whereas in reality it is owned and operated by NSA and their friends. So what they do is gather a list of users who would rather be anonymous, when in reality TOR=NSA=DIA=CIA=FBI=ETC..... know perfectly well who they are. AND what they're doing. That is why I have avoided it from the outset, and so should anyone else.

On the other hand there's a big difference between gathering a huge shit pile of data, and being able to seriously analyze it to find serious - not wannabe - terrorists & criminals, and even less likely to be able to prevent them from carrying out their plans. Isn't that right Chief?

I dunno, we'll have to run this by Agent Larrabee....
    Very crafty indeed.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 418/0
    Given: 455/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Very crafty indeed.

nosaj
    Crafty indeed.?. What's with your penchant for giraffe pajamas? I've been watching!

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    FWIW I DO use TOR, clumsy and slow as it is

Not to enhance my plans for World Domination

but because sometimes I am blocked out of some sites, such as TGP where *I* am not, but probably my IP address (or a whole block or the entire Country is)

I hope some guys get a brainfart trying to decode:
    "remove the .68 , the tranny may buzz, all PIOīs can leak, keep it tight and sharp" and similar stuff.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 246/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Crafty indeed.?. What's with your penchant for giraffe pajamas? I've been watching!
    You know Chuck the ads you see on your computer are related to your browsing preferences not mine.

nosaj

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 0/0
    There's some great information to be had online about how the three-letter agencies use Tor as a vehicle to inject broswer attacks into blissfully unaware users' computers. Sadly, I don't have any links but the info is out there if anyone wants to look at it.

If you look at the list of Tor exit nodes, for example, some of them are openly advertised as being NSA operated. In addition, the NSA has sniffing servers sitting on the fastest internet connections, and that huge data storage facility in Nevada where they archive just about everything. Yes, your data is encrypted, and yes they can't crack it in real time, but they can still crack it. If they find you to be interesting, they store all of the data that they gather about you, and keep it safe just in case they need to decrypt it inthe future. Then, once you become important instead of just a curiosity, they'll spend the time that it takes to decrypt your data.

One thing that's interesting about their servers that sit on the internet backbone is that it gives them the ability to perform the ultimate man in the middle attack. A computer that's "sitting on the pipe" has practically zero latency in responding to packets, compared to the far away computer that you're actually trying to connect to. Lower latency means that one server is guaranteed to win the race in establishing the network connection. The result is that they can hijack your connection and masquerade as another entity, which is the basis for the man in the middle attack. The NSA reportedly did this by impersonating the Google web site to archive peoples' search activity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

https://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-disgui...y-say-reports/

I know that this sort of thing happened to me. My web browser suffered from a DNS hijack, where my IP character address to numeric address conversions were being forwarded to a strange IP address that wasn't that of my ISP. Reverse DNS of the strange IP address showed that the server was owned by the NSA. I ended up having to blacklist that IP on my firewall. I'm sure they've adapted.

A word of warning about the Tor Browser -- it does not sanitize your browser profile between sessions. Firefox does store information about you and your activities in your browser profile, and the tools that are offered in firefox to clear your browsing history will not clean that data. You have to delete the browser profile manually and create a new one, both with Firefox and the Tor Browser that's derived from it.

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thread Information