No announcement yet.

weird component in Magnatone 260A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ta - I certainly enjoyed collating the historical aspects. I did most of that a few years ago, but as they are living docs they get a new date if I add anything - which was related to chit-chat over xmas with a crowd cloning the circuit in solid-state (a bit more 'pedal' friendly than a batch of tubes). Next thing you know they'll have a software plug-in for a Rasberry pi.

Comment

That's a really nice piece of work and very readable. I think I'll include vibrato in my next build as it will add a lot more interest. Just a few projects to finish off in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I have to admit I have never seen caps held down with big washers like that before.
        I've seen it before. As you know, it's an anti-vibration thing. The problem is that the caps would commonly fail if someone took a ham-fisted approach and over-tightened the nuts.

Today people use hot melt glue and silicone RTV to accomplish the same results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alessandro-princeton-reverb-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	848945
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Sorin65, I'd appreciate it if you could post extensive photo documentation of the inside of that original Magnatone. I love looking at old PTP wiring techniques and I think there'd be general interest in a well-documented Magnatone interior.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            Sorin65, I'd appreciate it if you could post extensive photo documentation of the inside of that original Magnatone. I love looking at old PTP wiring techniques and I think there'd be general interest in a well-documented Magnatone interior.
            I can provide some pictures of a couple 260's also Bob P. It will have to wait until I get home later though.

Greg

Comment

I think its really important to get original amps fully documented. Things get changed, amps get re-capped and as we move on we need to be able to look back and see how it was done then. I'm referring to 'we' as people interested in vintage amps. Probably no-one else is interested. I'm fascinated by the build processes, techniques and components used in old electronic equipment.

Comment

Sorry for the delay...got busy with other things. Here are some pics I have of a Magnatone 260A bob p.

Greg
                Attached Files

Comment

thanks all for answers and comments!
                  I repaired the Magnatone and sounds very nice.
                  hope you'll like:

Comment

So tell us what was wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X