Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan humbucker pickup spacing less than 49.2mm ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan humbucker pickup spacing less than 49.2mm ?

I have a couple of older long legged Seymour Duncan buckers here that the customer wants covers installed on them & my 49.2mm covers have a wider spacing ,Any one know what spacing they are & I guess they will need a Duncan cover ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    I have a couple of older long legged Seymour Duncan buckers here that the customer wants covers installed on them & my 49.2mm covers have a wider spacing ,Any one know what spacing they are & I guess they will need a Duncan cover ?
    Hey, pretty sure they are 49mm.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      If they're spaced less than 49.2mm, then they're NOT Duncan.
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

Duncan made Jazz neck pickups at 48mm - I have some of them. they were always sold uncovered, as far as I know, but yes Seymour Duncan made narrow-spaced HBs

cheers
        Jack Briggs

sigpic
        www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

You are completely right. All my Duncan vintage type humbuckers (59, Seth Lover, Antiquity) have a pitch of 49.0mm. I first noticed the difference in the early '80s, when I found that parts (baseplates, keepers, covers) from Duncan 59s and vintage Gibson PUs were not interchangeable. I even told Seymour, when I met him at a trade fair.
          As the difference is rather small and barely visible, you may just use a small round file on the inner sides of the outer 2 screw-holes in the covers.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
            Duncan made Jazz neck pickups at 48mm - I have some of them.
            Ok. Odd choice, as the 48mm it's been an old asian standard in p'ups from late 70s, early 80s. I actually have a couple of sets taken out of japanese guitars which are 48mm neck, 50mm bridge. The bobbins are not threaded, as both the slugs and screws have the same diameter, so no need to use keeper bars. I actually like theis design pretty much, although it never "catched on", so to speak. It's a shame that the materials used were not the best (brass baseplates and covers), and the winds themselves were 5,000 turns of AWG#43 SPN wire. Not really "PAf-like".
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

I needed to order some 12-hole humbucker covers last week. Same company that supplies these covers to Duncan. They said the Duncan covers are 49mm....

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                I needed to order some 12-hole humbucker covers last week. Same company that supplies these covers to Duncan. They said the Duncan covers are 49mm....
                As already mentioned, Duncan parts are 49.0mm but not 49.2mm. This small difference may prevent interchanging parts without a little filing. BTW, vintage PAF and P-90 covers are pitched a little wider than 49.2mm.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-19-2018, 09:46 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                X