No announcement yet.

Mesa Express noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the 5 ohms through the power supply, those 300k numbers look OK.

The 5 ohms I will assume is the heaters of the tubes, pull them and the 5 ohms goes up to maybe 60 ohms?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

With all tubes pulled, it goes up to 116 ohms.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Good enough. The things I was considering are covered.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Would anyone care to weigh in on whether the contour filter circuit could be a factor here? I wish I could find a way to disconnect it to verify. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Comment

The graphic EQ could give you noise at Q2.

I've been holding back on mentioning what I think is sort of a red herring problem until the obvious problems were looked at first.

Check J175C1 and J175C2.
            If that doesn't work, check C44-C47.
            Here's the red herring: if the insulation has broken down on L1-L4 they could cause popping noises.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"The graphic EQ could give you noise at Q2."

The thing is, there is no graphic EQ, even though the flow chart says there is. It's a fixed contour circuit. Plus, how does it reconcile with the fact that grounding the base of Q1 stops the noise?

"Check J175C1 and J175C2. "

Grounding R87 at the contour level section has no effect, so wouldn't that preclude J175C1 and J175C2? The noise is in both channels also.

"If that doesn't work, check C44-C47."

Ugh. That means pulling this board, which is no small thing. But I will do what I must.

"Here's the red herring if the insulation has broken down on L1-L4 they could cause popping noises"

I wouldn't describe the noises as popping as much as a radio tuned in between stations with the treble rolled off a bit, with an occasional spike. Anyway. how do we determine if an inductor has said condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                I wouldn't describe the noises as popping as much as a radio tuned in between stations with the treble rolled off a bit, with an occasional spike. Anyway. how do we determine if an inductor has said condition?
                I have battled some insane noises in mesas and have sometimes won and sometimes lost. What you describe makes me shudder just reading it. I feel for you and hope you are paying yourself adequately. You really deserve it

Comment

If I don't figure this out, all this will be for no pay, as I don't charge for something I don't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post

"If that doesn't work, check C44-C47."

Ugh. That means pulling this board, which is no small thing.
                    You dŽont need pull out the board. These capacitors must be easily accessible. Possibly the mustard tantalums at the right of the inductors.

Comment

Randall. I have exactly the same issue you described. Did you fix it? What was the solution?

Comment

Working...
                      X