Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding wiring mount part for wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding wiring mount part for wiring.

What Im looking for, I can drill a hole into the chassis, and one side gets screwed to the chassis, the other side sticks up and has a lug or turret. The lug or turret is not grounded to the chassis. Terminal strips are too big, Ive tried those.

Im looking to use this part in 3 places:
    1) The unmounted side of the grid stop resistors. The other side will be solderded to pin 2 and 6 of the 12AX7's.
    2) The unmounted side of the 100 ohm artificial center tap resistors. One side will be soldered to the pilot light lugs.
    3) The unmounted side of the 1 ohm bias resistors on the output tubes.

What Id like to do, is put these posts onto the chassis, solder the unmounted side of the resistors, then from there, run a wire to the star ground.

I don't really like the idea of having one side of a resistor soldered to a piece of wire, and flopping around.

I thought I found something, but it turned out to be pin jacks. (doh!)

I saw someone who made something himself, a long time ago, can't remember the case. It looks like a turret. One side is mounted to the chassis, and is insulating. The other side sticks up and has a lug or turret that you can run point to point wiring with.

At one point, I had a few terminal strips but in the Fender style chassis, there is not a lot of room and they make it miserable to fiddle with tube socket wiring.

Thanks.
    Mike
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Hi Mike, I think I understand what you are trying to do. You could use a non-conductive threaded standoff (ie. nylon) and screw that to the chassis and then screw a ground lug type of terminal to the top. As long as the machine screws are short enough that they don't touch inside the standoff you'll be good to go.

Andy

something like this would do; of course they come in many different lengths and threads as required

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...1902F-ND/61870

Comment

Terminal "strips" come in as small as a single terminal.
      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...fIdluDWCnK4%3d

Or look for a standoff terminal. Google standoff terminal, and the first example up is this one:
      https://www.surplussales.com/Hardwar...doffs/dap.html

But you can also search them at Mouser et al. Mouser sells insulated turret lugs of various styles.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for that surplus link Enzo; they have some really nice terminals there.

Comment

Thanks Andy, Thanks Enzo!
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Ohh man that surplus store, kid in a candy store here! I know where my 2018 bonus is going!

Comment

Check this stuff out,

https://www.surplussales.com/Images/...10000_1_lg.jpg

wow, I would buy some of this just to have it.

Comment

I've been using the discrete insulated terminal posts like those shown on Enzo's post # 3 for years, finding a stash of them at a local surplus hardware store nearby, probably around $0.10 ea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Inside-Revised -22.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	849022
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

you looking for something like this?

edit: I see that enzo already posted the surplussales link. I believe that's where I got these. I like the ones nevetslab uses as well! Nev, you got any more info on the ones your using?
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Just googling "standoff terminal" gets you many options.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                      1) The unmounted side of the grid stop resistors. The other side will be solderded to pin 2 and 6 of the 12AX7's.
                      One option to consider that might allow eliminating the cost and complexity of adding a standoff just for the grid stop: Mount one lead of the grid-stop resistor to the grid pin, and use the other lead as a jumper wire to your board. Doing this requires pre-thinking your layout to put parts in close enough proximity to do this. In the old days when people did PTP wiring they'd use a christmas tree type of terminal strip situated close to the tube socket to allow all of the various components to be connected to the tube socket at one and and to the terminal strip at the other. Then jumper wires got connected to the christmas tree.

I've also seen cases where people would wire a resistor directly to the end of a shielded cable and use HST to cover the end of the cable + resistor, and then mount the other lead directly to the tube socket. It's not optimal, but people do it.

2) The unmounted side of the 100 ohm artificial center tap resistors. One side will be soldered to the pilot light lugs.
                      I hate to be a nitpicker, but "virtual center tap" is a misnomer. The electrical function of those resistors has nothing to do with a center tap. They only provide DC offset elevation of the heater circuit. A Christmas Tee type of terminal strip works great here as well.

3) The unmounted side of the 1 ohm bias resistors on the output tubes.
                      If you plan your layout well, you can wire directly from the tube cathodes to each of the red pin jacks, and mount the resistors between the red pin jacks and the black pin jack, and then run a jumper from the black pin jack to your star ground point.
                      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                        Check this stuff out,

wow, I would buy some of this just to have it.
                        Do you use a lot of 7-pin miniature tubes?

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

That same style was also made in noval and octal. I used to work on some things made with those, don't recall what now.

Some of my juke box amps used 7 and 9 pin sockets with a center post supporting a ring of solder terminals an inch or so down from the socket pins, your resistors and things could wire from the socket pin up to this extra level and back down through another part. Very compact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vecoct2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	849034

If interested, google "turret tube socket" for many examples.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                            that's a nice example of clean looking fabrication. The socket holes are beveled.

Is Deviant Art the new hot place for image storage, now that photobucket has become a subscription service?

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                              that's a nice example of clean looking fabrication. The socket holes are beveled.

Is Deviant Art the new hot place for image storage, now that photobucket has become a subscription service?
                              imgur is the best out there I feel. It's free and it's whole premise is based on hotlinking content.

Comment

Working...
                              X