• Show
Clear All

And remember this stuff?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hfgbmc37fgrrkhnucg0h.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	849035
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

As a coincidence, I was watching this YT video earlier today, which compared a number of different classic Marshall amps. I didn't realize it until now, but the video shows some of the Marshall PCBs that used the wire-weaving technique. Note that later amps used PCB construction without eyelets or turrets, and in those amps the woven strain relief is going to be necessary to avoid pulling traces off of the board (just like in the Bedrock that doesn't use either turrets or eyelets). With that kind of PCB design the strain relief becomes a necessary evil.

See example at 3:36.

Are those PCB-type Marshalls what you were referring to Greg, or did they also do this on older turret board amps that were built on perfboard?
      Last edited by bob p; 03-19-2018, 10:27 PM.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"Bedroom Volume Level"? That's a non-Master, as far as I could tell... So, how? Pedal? MV added? Something up with that, unless their definition of "Bedroom Volume" is the same as mine...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          "Bedroom Volume Level"? That's a non-Master, as far as I could tell... So, how? Pedal? MV added? Something up with that, unless their definition of "Bedroom Volume" is the same as mine...
          SAY WHAT?!?
          Last edited by bob p; 03-19-2018, 10:28 PM.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            As a coincidence, I was watching this YT video earlier today, which compared a number of different classic Marshall amps. I didn't realize it until now, but the video shows some of the Marshall PCBs that used the wire-weaving technique. Note that later amps used PCB construction without eyelets or turrets, and in those amps the woven strain relief is going to be necessary to avoid pulling traces off of the board (just like in the Bedrock that doesn't use either turrets or eyelets). With that kind of PCB design the strain relief becomes a necessary evil.

See example at 3:36.

Are those PCB-type Marshalls what you were referring to Greg, or did they also do this on older turret board amps that were built on perfboard?
            Oh that's my man Segeborn! I watched all of his videos many times over. He's some kind of tech guy at Volvo I think, and by the looks of it he has one bitchin' collection of vintage Marshall's. He has a lot of his videos with him playing these great old amps, CRANKED and he's got those aircraft mechanic all around the ear hearing protectors on. I would be willing to bet his neighbors don't like him. Bedroom volume on a mid 70's JMP. Heh.
            The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Working...
            X