Tascam 464 random auto-ttape shut-off kicking in mid tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam 464 random auto-ttape shut-off kicking in mid tape

Hey, my first post to the forum. Nice to know the forum is here. Great resource, the true spirit of the Webb.
    I have a 464 tascam that has been with me 20 years. it has an auto-shut-off feature that seems to be kicking in mid-tape during recording sessions. In other words, the damn thing stops recording mid-session and mid-tape. I hear the typical mechanism sounding that sounds like the unit hit the end of the tape. The play head recedes, the counter remains where it is. There is no slack in the tape when removed to check..
    It happens with new tapes freshly unpacked and it happens anywhere at anytime. Very strange.

My guess is, some part in the unit either needs a good cleaning...oiling....or a replacement.
    I was hoping for some troubleshooting tips from those in the forum who have the same model, a similar model, a similar problem, or who simply have the experience with the machine and have a pretty good idea of what it could be.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas and expertise. Thank you!

Hi, thank you for posting here.

Did we look at the tape counter and was it at zero or close?

If I recall, there is an RTZ button. In that group of various control buttons near the display, do they all feel the same? They are tactile switches, so they ought to have the springy pop feel to them. Does any feel kinda flat or overly sensitive?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Tape counter intact

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Hi, thank you for posting here.

Did we look at the tape counter and was it at zero or close?

If I recall, there is an RTZ button. In that group of various control buttons near the display, do they all feel the same? They are tactile switches, so they ought to have the springy pop feel to them. Does any feel kinda flat or overly sensitive?
      Hi Enzo, good idea. I checked it and the tape counter remains intact...it doesn`t reset. And the random stopping of the mechanism which transports the tape is not linked to the counter. All the little buttons feel the same. Springy pop is intact. Hardly ever used that bay. Acts and behaves like someone (or something) just pushed the STOP button. ghostbusters?

Comment

OK, so counter could be on any number when it happens.

In fact, it could even be the stop switch failing.

Do you have the service manual?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It could be that

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          OK, so counter could be on any number when it happens.

In fact, it could even be the stop switch failing.

Do you have the service manual?
          It could in fact be a failing stop switch. I do not have the service manual. Would love to be in possession of it though. Anyone have it? And would anyone be willing to post it for a download here?

Comment

Originally posted by FourTrackAintDead View Post
            Hey, my first post to the forum. Nice to know the forum is here. Great resource, the true spirit of the Webb.
            I have a 464 tascam that has been with me 20 years. it has an auto-shut-off feature that seems to be kicking in mid-tape during recording sessions. In other words, the damn thing stops recording mid-session and mid-tape. I hear the typical mechanism sounding that sounds like the unit hit the end of the tape. The play head recedes, the counter remains where it is. There is no slack in the tape when removed to check..
            It happens with new tapes freshly unpacked and it happens anywhere at anytime. Very strange.

My guess is, some part in the unit either needs a good cleaning...oiling....or a replacement.
            I was hoping for some troubleshooting tips from those in the forum who have the same model, a similar model, a similar problem, or who simply have the experience with the machine and have a pretty good idea of what it could be.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas and expertise. Thank you!
            Didn't see it mentioned, but is this on any tape? new or old?
            I seem to remember years ago I would end up with tapes where tension was wonky after lots of use and the fix was to fast forward to the end then rewind which would even out the tension.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

New or Old Tape

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
              Didn't see it mentioned, but is this on any tape? new or old?
              I seem to remember years ago I would end up with tapes where tension was wonky after lots of use and the fix was to fast forward to the end then rewind which would even out the tension.
              nosaj
              hey nosaj,
              I thought the same, but it happened with a freshly opened tape last time. I am thinking it must be something else....perhaps there is a way to adjust this sensitivity.....any ideas?

thanks for the tip about the FFWD and then RWND. will try that in the future if i find an old tape i want to re-record on.

maybe someone has the service manual for the 464? i would love to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by FourTrackAintDead View Post
                hey nosaj,
                I thought the same, but it happened with a freshly opened tape last time. I am thinking it must be something else....perhaps there is a way to adjust this sensitivity.....any ideas?

thanks for the tip about the FFWD and then RWND. will try that in the future if i find an old tape i want to re-record on.

maybe someone has the service manual for the 464? i would love to read it.
                This is the closest Portastudio service manual I can find. maybe you can glean what you need from it? It's too big to upload here
                https://elektrotanya.com/tascam_488_.../download.html

At the bottom of the page you will see a processing link wait about 30 secs then it will change to get manual.

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

What 'length' tape are you using.

These units do not like C-120's.

Comment

Do you know how to hold the cassette detection switches with your finger to get the mechanism to go into play with no tape inserted?
                    Put it in play and put some drag on the take up reel. Does it have good torque?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

What he said. Insufficient takeup real torque is a common cause of this. I don't think this model has a physical tape tension switch. If I remember correctly it's optical or magnetic. If the taken hub stops intermittently it will shut off. We used to have torque measurement guages. If you can get it to play without a cassette you can feel the torque with your finger on the spinning hub and force it to auto stop.

Comment

Working...
                      X