Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save a link as a text file...

How to save a link as a text file...

URL's usually have slashes (/) which cannot be used in filenames for most operating systems. For my archive of SRT subtitle files I include a text file of the link in the folder for that particular show for reference.
    As for the filename of the text file I use the URL, but with the initial "http://" deleted and all of the slashes replaced by two periods (..) followed by ".txt" [See *** below]

For example I would store the link to the MEF index page...
    Code:
     http://music-electronics-forum.com/forum.php
    ... in a file named:
    Code:
     music-electronics-forum.com..forum.php.txt
    That way I can copy the URL for that webpage to the clipboard and paste it into a new text file and then save that file after pasting and editing the URL for the filename.

This trick can be used for any folder that contains files from a particular website or webpage giving you quick access to it without having to search through a long list of bookmarks in your browser.

(I had been clicking on "Add to homescreen" in Chrome for Android for the webpage of each show but I had to keep adding more homescreen pages to contain all of the icons. And there was no way to copy those icons from one tablet to another — there are 3 different tablets I use: a 7" one for composing text, an 8" one for general browsing and a 10" one for watching videos.)

Yeah, I know all of that sounds kinda useless but it can add order to digital file archives and I wish I had thought of it years ago. For example, let's say you wanted to save pictures from a particular news article in its own folder. You could add the link to that webpage in a text file in that folder for reference. Seeing the filename you could either just type in the URL replacing double periods with forward slashes or opening the file and copying the URL, whichever works better for you.

More power to digital hoarders!

*** That would not work for any URL which includes two consecutive periods. In that case you could use a different character to replace the forward slash. Different operating systems and different versions do have different rules for filenames so you have to take that into consideration.

Steve A.

P.S. For an application relevant to MEF-ers you could use this trick if you wanted to store schematics in a folder for a particular website, in case you wanted to visit it later to look for new or revised schematics. If not schematics, then perhaps photos of various amp or guitar builds. (I have no problem storing small files like schematics or pictures in two different systems, for example, one listed by mfg and one listed by website or webpage. By doing that you are also keeping a record of where you found a particular schematic.)
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/
Working...
X