Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 30 Output Xformer substitute Help

Hi Guys,
    I got a Peavey Classic 30 in the shop with a blown output xformer.
    Called Peavey Parts, "Sorry no longer...." etc...
    I couldn't find any specs on the Peavey part, & it's too furznizzled to measure.
    Other than a pricey Mercury Mag. I can't find a drop in sub. I was wondering if this transformer from a Gibson GA30RV would work as a decent substitute?

Any help is appreciated.

Goldtone-30W-OT.PDFPV Classic 30.pdf

Are you sure it's the OT? The reason I ask is because I've had more than a few tell me their OT was shorted and it ended up being flyback diode(s) instead. What's wrong with yours?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hi Dude, This amp came in with 2 hard shorted power tubes. Had some bad AC filter caps, solder joints, cleaned up the sockets, fuses, etc. I think the customer thought it was a class A n didn't check the bias or some faulty tubes with current that just took off. Not sure n customers can be sketchy as to what really happened in use. The TX connectors are toast. Used the neon TX short tester, no flashes. No resistance reading on the DDM for one of the Primary leads. I've done quite of few of these pain in the butts, but this is the first with a bad OTX. The signals are on spec upto the coupling caps at the driver. (inputs to the EL84s).

Comment

If that's the goldtone with 4 x EL84 I think it should work.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No longer available? The Classic 30 is still in production. Same amp as Delta Blues.

Any 4xEL84 to speaker transformer will work.

There is no bias adjustment.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

FWIW: I believe the part number is 705-00191.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

And if I know PV, they probably changed that to 305-00191 when they went offshore.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A Hammond 1760J (4k primary/4,8,16 secondary) works fine in a 4xEL84 amp. Just installed one in a Laney VC30.
                Last edited by Mick Bailey; 03-20-2018, 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

So here's my cut & pasted answer from Peavey after requesting a 305-00191 xformer:

"We no longer have that part available."
                  Thank you,
                  Shannon
                  Peavey Parts

Same results with other Peavey numbers for the same item.

It wouldn't be the first time my small independent shop got the brush off..

Anyway the Goldtone seems to be a good fit in size & mounting and a little bit more iron, so I got one coming. We'll give it a try and post the results.

Thanks for the assist.

Comment

No resistance reading on the DDM for one of the Primary leads.
                    Which means ????????
                    * open
                    * short
                    * no display on meter screen
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I believe you, it is just surprising, as PV has always been good about parts, and it is still a current model.

It doesn't have anything to do with you being small, I ran my shop alone for decades and PV always took care of me.

Comment

DDM had no resistance measurement , Fluke 87 screen shows O.L ( true, I guess that's still a measurement)

Enzo, Peavey's been good to deal with...it's just been frustrating to get decent parts or substitutes for a lot of repairs lately. I didn't mean to vent.

This site is a great resource for todays bench techs and I hope this post will help others working on these amps can quickly find options here.

Comment

To amplify on Fahey, we tend to prefer to use terms other than no reading or no resistance. We use terms like zero ohms or open circuit. Those are less ambiguous. Zero volts rather than "nothing".

Comment

So I installed the Goldtone 30w Output xformer in the Peavey Classic 30.
                            The only hitch I had was that feedback from having the primaries backwards.
                            The wire color codes are different, but because I used original Peavey molex plugs it was as easy as flipping the plug. The B+ is the center pin.
                            See pics below.
                            I did have to drill 2 mounting holes, the others lined up nicely. Also all the wires from the new OTX are routed thru one hole making lead dressing easy as well. Use shrink wrap both on the joints & as a loom.
                            The sound is great, the customer was thrilled.
                            It makes the amp seem to sound bigger, not necessarily louder, but more like the sound stage isn't as strained. Really nice dynamics.
                            Thanks for all the help for another successful repair!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the details

Comment

Working...
                              X