Lacquer forbon based P90 bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacquer forbon based P90 bobbins?

Do winders here who build there own P90 bobbins (forbon/maple spacer) lacquer them before winding similar to other forbon based bobbins with rod magnets? Is there benefit to lacquering to seal the forbon before winding and potting? Any harm in doing it? I am starting to cut and assemble forbon/maple spacer P90 bobbins and was wondering the pros and cons of lacquering them.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Since maple is completely non-conductive, the only purpose of lacquering maple spacers would be to seal it to prevent them from being exposed to moisture, thus twisting/cracking, but with such a tiny piece of wood almost completely full of holes and smothered by wire, I'd be surprised if this was an issue. I just sand mine thoroughly to make sure noting catches on the wire in the first winds. I do wrap them in tape if the pickup is not to be potted, though, just to make a soft cushion between the spacer and wire. This might be pure superstition, but I've never had an (overly) microphonic unpotted p90 this way.

Comment

Originally posted by epizootics View Post
      Since maple is completely non-conductive, the only purpose of lacquering maple spacers would be to seal it to prevent them from being exposed to moisture, thus twisting/cracking, but with such a tiny piece of wood almost completely full of holes and smothered by wire, I'd be surprised if this was an issue. I just sand mine thoroughly to make sure noting catches on the wire in the first winds. I do wrap them in tape if the pickup is not to be potted, though, just to make a soft cushion between the spacer and wire. This might be pure superstition, but I've never had an (overly) microphonic unpotted p90 this way.
      completely non-conductive? that would assume there was/is never any moisture in maple.....
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Lacquering flat forbon would help it stay flat. Lacquering maple might be a good idea but it would hardly matter to something with as small voltage and current as a pickup.

Comment

I don't and I never had any problem...

Comment

Thanks all. I appreciate the input.
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
              completely non-conductive? that would assume there was/is never any moisture in maple.....
              Aha, my bad, I should know better than to ever say 'completely' when it comes to this stuff.
              If we go this way, how about the diamagnetic properties of maple?

Comment

Working...
              X