Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 DRRI vs. Vintage Faceplate - Compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 DRRI vs. Vintage Faceplate - Compatible?

I'm trying to find out if the pot spacing on the current Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue amps, like the 65 DDRRI, have the same on-center spacing as the vintage Deluxe Reverb amps and/or the Mojo repro chassis.

I guess I'm asking indirectly if the current Fender DRRI boards will fit the Mojo chassis and/or faceplate. I don't know the standard to which the Mojo parts are built, and Mojo isn't responding.

If the on-center spacing is correct, then I'm wondering if the only difference would be hole sizing.

Anyone?
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

If you can post the hole spacing on the Mojo repro chassis I can compare it to my DRRI.

Steve A.

P.S. Are you thinking of getting a $75 board set from Allesandro? I might get the '68 reissue boards to put in my '65 DRRI...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-65-D...t/282699850543

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-68-D...t/272892974919
    Last edited by Steve A.; 03-24-2018, 02:31 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
      If the on-center spacing is correct, then I'm wondering if the only difference would be hole sizing
      Yes I've done it and your only worry is hole sizing. You'll have to open up the holes for all the pots just a smidge. Whisk that panel thru your drill press, or do it the hard way with a hand reamer the way I do. Only a couple minutes work either way, pays off in a proper looking dashboard for your Deluxe.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
        If you can post the hole spacing on the Mojo repro chassis I can compare it to my DRRI.
        Thanks Steve!

I regret that I can't post the hole spacing on the Mojo chassis. I don't have one on-hand and Mojo isn't responding. I'm planning on ordering a Mojo chassis if it will fit, but I am trying to hold-off on placing the order until I confirm that it will work.

Yes, I'm thinking about the take-off Fender DRRI boards. I have a private deal working with someone else.

FYI -- I also corresponded with Zachmdhunter on ebay, who admits that his chassis are a blatant copy of the Mojo chassis, but he doesn't even know the answer to my question, which suggests that he just did a blind copy. Although I asked for specs, he didn't reply with them. I've asked him a second time if he can be more specific. I haven't heard back yet.

Leo, you've confirmed that the spacing is the same, thanks! But I'm not clear on which item has bigger holes, the Mojo chassis or the Fender DRRI chassis.

If I had to surmise, I'd say that the vintage holes are for 3/8" pot bushings, I'd expect that the Mojo holes would be sized for 3/8" bushings (assuming they're built to vintage specs), and I'd expect that the Fender repro chassis/faceplates are sized for modern metric pots. but I don't know the sizes that would be on the new Fender boards. Anyone? Steve, could you tell me the pot size on your DRRI?

Leo, are you saying that the DRRI metric pots are LARGER than the original DR faceplate holes, which are the same as the Mojo repro faceplate holes? So that you'd have to enlarge the Mojo chassis and Mojo faceplate holes to accommodate the Fender DRRI boards? If so that's great news. Of course, if the Mojo holes were too big, that would be a problem.

PS - Steve, if you're thinking about modifying a 65 to a 68, it's only 4-5 parts differences in the 68 Custom mod. I can tell you what the differences are if you're interested in the cheap way out.
        Last edited by bob p; 03-24-2018, 10:45 PM.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

For Steve, and anyone else interested in the difference between the BF 65 DRRI and the SF 68 Custom DRRI:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46282/

Comment

Since nobody wants to step out on a limb, I'll make it easy --

You guys that own current-production fenders like the DRRI -- what's the bushing diameter on the pots? Or the hole diameter on the faceplates?

Comment

The Reissues use that goofy 'snap in' control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37600_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	849118

The panel hole is 8mm.

Comment

very helpful. thanks.

Comment

Although it would be nice to have the hole diameters be close to spec, hole spacing is what really matters. Even if the hole sizes are too large, than's not a real problem. I could always use the second panel trick like Fender did in the 70s:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X