Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino Controlling Your Winder

I'm curious...

Have anyone here tried to use an Arduino or Raspberry PI microcomputer to automatically control a pickup winder?

If you did, were you successful... and if not what issues did you have?

Ken
    www.angeltone.com

I wasn't smart enough or skilled enough to code up an Arduino or Raspberry PI to run my CNC winder. I opted for a higher level controller (Phidgets) with all the capabilities/functions (well, all that I needed) already coded in via a proprietary dll (things like ramp up and ramp down).
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

I opted for a higher level controller (Phidgets) with all the capabilities/functions (well, all that I needed) already coded in via a proprietary dll (things like ramp up and ramp down).
      I was curious because I got an Arduino Duo awhile back and was hoping that since Arduino was open source. it was evolved enough as of 2018 to run a winder. You would think it was simple enough... just one main drive motor and a stepper to run the traverse too.

I'm going to look at the Phidgets solution too

Thank you

ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        I was curious because I got an Arduino Duo awhile back and was hoping that since Arduino was open source. it was evolved enough as of 2018 to run a winder. You would think it was simple enough... just one main drive motor and a stepper to run the traverse too.
        ken
        The Arduino would definitely be a more cost effective solution compared to the Phidgets bipolar stepper motor controllers that I used. That said, in my situation, the Phidgets controllers represented a much reduced learning curve. I'm certain there are winders out there that have gone down the Arduino road road with success. Hopefully, some of them with pipe in.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Yes ... I went down this path but the fiddly part wasn't the stepper motor control ... rather it was programing a workable menu on the LCD keypad shield that I was using. Gave up and went with a PC based winder using Phidgets USB boards.

Comment

Steve,

I think you're right. I got the Arduino to react with enough speed to actually work OK, and I got the stepper and main drive motors to work too, but I bought a 3.5" color touchscreen for mine and programming it is absolute murder. I know some people use an Android smartphone or tablet to control the Arduino, but I don't know enough about it to make it all work. I'm not giving up though.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
            X