McIntosh MC2300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McIntosh MC2300

Michigan State Univ Surplus store has a nice looking McIntosh MC2300. A giant amplifier. Currently has a $4000 asking price on it. I have seen them listed for higher and lower prices. This one is very clean, has a manual in a binder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mcintosh-MC-2300-Power-amplifier-8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	873502

Photo for reference, taken from Graff Audio site.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Michigan State Univ Surplus store has a nice looking McIntosh MC2300. A giant amplifier. Currently has a $4000 asking price on it. I have seen them listed for higher and lower prices. This one is very clean, has a manual in a binder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47922[/ATTACH]

Photo for reference, taken from Graff Audio site.
    I had to deal with the “GOLDEN EARS” crowd in my hifi days. With their Macs, gold tipped connectors, and later Monster Cables and such. $4000? A/B it blind through the same good speakers with a new (non class D) $100 amp at listening levels an see if they can tell the difference. I used to do it with a Pioneer car stereo and claymore mine cable just to piss them off.

Comment

I know you sometimes have "explosive" reactions, but isnīt that a little too much ?

Now seriously: I *imagine* itīs steel wire based cable instead of copper strands?

At least our telephone wire is that kind, so it self supports better along long unsupported stretches, such as across an Avenue.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yep.. steel wire definitely . I was envolved with the original test marketing for Monster Cable. Their engineers had a bunch of meaningless specs that don't matter in the audio spectrum. I A/Bed claymore mine cable I got from my Seal Team buddy. I also used Romex, I even twisted together some coat hangers. They couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. They also said to me privately their product was all hype.

Comment

Didn't the Grateful Dead use 48 of these? How much would that weigh?
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
            Oh, less than the Titanic, I guess
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              I even twisted together some coat hangers.
              Hope you heat shrink or tape wrapped at least one of them
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just entering the model number in google, first up is a Wiki page for just that model. It is largely a story of the Grateful Dead connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_MC-2300
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                  At 128 pounds per, that would be just over 6000 pounds. And what Deadhead wouldn't be excited to help with the roadie work!
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Mostly they are enameled!

Comment

I hope you mean the coat hangers and not the Deadheads.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Deadheads aren't enameled. They're baked.

$4000 is a high price for an amp that had a maximum MSRP of $1700 and could be bought new at a street price of $1200. Especially if you consider that nobody really wants Mac SS gear, everyone really wants the tube stuff... like the MC-240.

Enzo, tell me about that ARC line stage that's sitting on top of it.
                        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

In the photo? I have no idea what is up there, I just grabbed the photo from the google collection. That is not a pic of the actual unit at MSU.

To buy one at MSRP or street price one would have to go back to before 1980, the thing came out in 1971.

I don't know that anyone is interested in the piece, I just try to report interesting things that show up there. My experience with MSU Surplus is that they ask a price and are open to negotiation. Online I saw higher asking prices on some that looked as good, and I saw some selling for more like $2000 that looked well used.

You don't want the nice old Mac, fine, they have deals like this:

https://msusurplusstore.com/catalog/...type-2pf-1010/

They usually have very nice server racks, with glass doors and good wheels.

And good quality and usually great shape file cabinets. Cheap. Nice office chairs $5.

I used to snag all the variacs that showed up, but I lack the energy any more. I can sell $25 variacs for $40-50 all day long.

Comment

I've wanted one of these ever since I started watching The Roadrunner as a kid:

https://msusurplusstore.com/catalog/...inimum-bid-50/
                            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                            X