No announcement yet.

fender super twin newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the orange cap goes to the output knob and is bridged to the distortion knob via .047 cap

Comment

hopefully all that made sense

Comment

Originally posted by t81rd View Post
        looks like all of the caps in the doghouse were replaced
        Not those two white ones. Those are originals.
        If those are for the bias supply, I'd definitely change them!

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by t81rd View Post

looks like all of the caps in the doghouse were replaced
          Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post

Justin
          Yes, definitely change those 40-year-old Mallorys. Also, it looks like suspect work where those replacement e-caps were soldered in. If it were me, and I realize that it ain't, I would have to pull all that down and start over even if I ended up re-using those 220uF caps. Without looking under that eyelet board, there is no real way to know if something got missed or if a shortcut was taken that'll cause problems later.

With those six 6L6GCs, that thing is rated at 180wRMS and it'll produce more like 220wRMS on the bench. It it were mine, and I realize that it ain't, I'd want every-damn-one of those watts at my disposal, if for no other reason but to defy my dad 40 years later!

Oh yes, I owned one of those with reverb once upon a time ...

Look at Justin Thomas' signature ...

Comment

Justin
            they have new solder on it so I assumed they were replaced. Either way, I will start to replace caps when I get it running, I don't want to spend too much money on this and it be a waste

Comment

If those are the bias supply caps and one of them <IS> bad, it could make this entire amp a waste in a matter of minutes... the bias circuit is probably <THE> single most critical circuit in an amp especially one of this caliber. Aaron Pittman may not get much love around here (perhaps for valid reasons), but one piece of advice of his I doubt anyone will argue with: "don't lose your bias." It's a couple bucks at most - REALLY cheap insurance, and you'll use them later if you don't need them.

Justin

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

If those are the bias supply caps and one of them <IS> bad, it could make this entire amp a waste in a matter of minutes... the bias circuit is probably <THE> single most critical circuit in an amp especially one of this caliber. Aaron Pittman may not get much love around here (perhaps for valid reasons), but one piece of advice of his I doubt anyone will argue with: "don't lose your bias." It's a couple bucks at most - REALLY cheap insurance, and you'll use them later if you don't need them.

Justin

Justin
                Yea I understand. I meant I would like to get my wiring issues figured out since I'm kind of going into this blind not knowing what the last person did. My plan was that once all the wiring was fixed to go back and replace all the important caps

Comment

I have the amp open on my desk...

The red wire goes to the junction of two resistors and another red wire. The greenish wire goes to the junction of the two capacitors and resistor (one capacitor is under the inductor, and the other capacitor is in parallel with the resistor), I hope the pics are clear enough!
                  https://imgur.com/a/tEQg8gj

Comment

Originally posted by fries View Post
                    I have the amp open on my desk...

The red wire goes to the junction of two resistors and another red wire. The greenish wire goes to the junction of the two capacitors and resistor (one capacitor is under the inductor, and the other capacitor is in parallel with the resistor), I hope the pics are clear enough!
                    https://imgur.com/a/tEQg8gj
                    Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you open a new thread with this. We don't know what your questions are, assume it pertains to another Fender Super Reverb, so please ask away and present what the issues are, as best you can. As you'll be composing in the 'Advanced' window, you have all of the facilities to add photos and attachments (pdf's, etc), and has a Preview feature to do your edits prior to submitting your first thread.
                    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                      Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you open a new thread with this. We don't know what your questions are, assume it pertains to another Fender Super Reverb, so please ask away and present what the issues are, as best you can. As you'll be composing in the 'Advanced' window, you have all of the facilities to add photos and attachments (pdf's, etc), and has a Preview feature to do your edits prior to submitting your first thread.
                      Haha, thanks!

First off, I tried to add the photos already but the forum tells me I do not have permission to do so (I assume because I am new).

Secondly, I was answering the original question, I have the exact same same amp as the OP, and he was asking where these wires go, I took photos, circled the locations of where the wires go, and gave a detailed description of what I saw just in case the photos were unclear.

Does that clear things up?

Cheers
                      fries

Comment

Working...
                      X