Useful infor from MWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful infor from MWS

Cleaning up the garage this morning, I got curious about a 5lb spool of #42 wire I had from MWS (originally purchased as "scrap copper" from a scrapper, but completely intact), so I decided to look up their site to try and identify what the insulation or any other particular characteristics of it might be (polyurethane nylon). I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had both a rather substantive page devoted specifically to guitar pickup-winding wire ( Guitar Pickup Wire - MWS Wire - Magnet Wire, Speciality Wire ) in addition to a large technical book all about magnet wire in general ( http://mwswire.com/wp-content/upload...chbook2016.pdf ).

So what kind of wire is it?
    Even though there are tons of wire types in the books?
    Most pickup wire available, falls into a few classes.
    Single poly
    Heavy poly
    Single formvar
    Heavy formvar
    single Plain Enamel
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

What was I looking up? A spool of #42, NEMA MW 83-C, HPN Class 180 Red. The techbook lists it as polyurethane nylon coating. The scrap place was selling it for $2/lb. I got lucky; several times, actually. It wasn't all MWS stuff. Some was Elektrisola, but I picked through the crate to get stuff in almost every gauge from 36 to 43. I'm pretty well set for life.

Comment

I don't I've ever got MWS branded wire from MWS, they do sell Elektrisola brand . great find that #42 heavy you got is good wire .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          I don't I've ever got MWS branded wire from MWS, they do sell Elektrisola brand . great find that #42 heavy you got is good wire .
          I had the pleasure of visiting MWS while in California for the NAMM show. They do draw their own wire for some uses, but for us, it's Elektrisola.

Their place was incredible.

Comment

Working...
          X