Blues Junior distortion problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Junior distortion problem

I'm having a problem with distortion on a Blues Junior. It happens at pretty much all volumes, low and high. It's not very severe, just noticeable when I play two notes or more. I do have another Blues Junior to compare it to also.
    I have tried changing all the tubes. I have tried connecting a different speaker.
    I changed the bias resistor (R52 in the power supply section) 22K to a higher resistance. I'm using a variable resistor and now it's closer to 27K. This is changing the C- voltage to about -12vdc (instead of stock -10.6vdc) and also lowering the current draw of the power tubes to about 25mA. I got info on this from Billm website.
    The bias change doesn't seem to affect the distortion problem. It still happens if I run the tubes hot or cold.
    I have tested the voltages at indicated points on the schematic such as B+, Z, Y, X and the cathodes in the pre-amp section. Everything seems pretty close to the schematic voltages. The B+ goes up by about 20v when I lower the bias.

I have attached a schematic.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

Thanks.

Redirect to the same topic with existing activity:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46406/
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
    X