Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    Really?

That's an incredibly specific thing to complain about... specially considering that real vintage Fender p'ups didn't have bevels, nor do most of the repros offered by high-priced boutique winders.

But, then again, I don't wind bass p'ups, so what do I know, uh?
    I should have added that those weren't standard p-bass pickups, actually I made them to fit non standard routes, wood mount, and without covers, so the magnets were protruding a bit on the top side
    Last edited by Alberto; 06-12-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
      I should have added that those weren't standard p-bass pickups, actually I made them to fit non standard routes, wood mount, and without covers, so the magnets were protruding a bit on the top side
      Oh, I see. Well, that explains why they ended up in the ER with blood all over their instruments...?
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

Oh, I see. Well, that explains why they ended up in the ER with blood all over their instruments...?

Comment

Originally posted by epizootics View Post
          Dear Cermag,

I've used your magnets for a while now, since you're the only company on my side of the pond to manufacture guitar-oriented magnets. Kudos for posting here, you've obviously kept an eye on the needs & demands of pickup makers! Your range seems to have expanded in the last year or so, and I thought I'd chime in with a few comments.

I haven't found using your magnets to result in particularly dark sounding pickups, I guess part of it is winding styles & the type of wires used.

I did notice a change in quality in your products in the last few months, the first magnets I ordered from you guys had quite a few bubbles in them, but the issue seems to have disappeared in the last couple of orders I received, which is a nice thing. Did you up your QC/manufacturing processes?

Now, the one thing that still has me ordering from your American competitors is the lack of a bevel option for your rod magnets, both for the practicality of inserting the magnets into the flatworks (I like a tight fit in my pickups, and not having a bevel means a small part of the forbon is gouged out by the sharp edges of the magnets) and for customers who want a vintage-correct bevel on their pickups.

I'll give you guys an email, I'm going full-time into pickup making this years and I'll be needing more of those tiny, shiny bits of metal...

Thanks for the chance to answer..

With regards to the issue of porosity in magnets, this is something that is inherant with cast magnets. We have a set standard for pass/fail when it comes to despatch. im sorry you received a batch with inclusions in them, they should have been scrapped off if they were very bad at our end. Normally i think the standard we send is quite high.

For the bevel, we can put bevel on any magnets. We do offer this on the "1/4 dia rods as this is what we have only ever been asked to put them on. would people like to see this on the 5mm dia and 0.187" versions?

i dont always check here everyday so best way to get hold of me is email, which is on our website. i can send samples if it helps?

Comment

SensMag today is NOT the same company it was in 2012. They've upgraded everything, got ISO9000 compliant and now they're one of the best foundries in the world for consistency of their grades, even on custom ones. They can perfectly repro vintage mags without even destructive analisys of the sample!

For the record, you can still have 2012 prices if you're willing to buy bigger quantities. (500 pieces and up of each type/grade)
            They are still making the vintage rough cast magnets when I worked with them through Allstar and Magnetic Hold. Previously to that no one was making rough cast magnets. Sensmag still makes the ones I spec'd, but Magnet Hold were unable to reproduce the first rough cast ones I did with them when I ran out. This was in 2007. Now days everybody makes rough cast. I still half belief that doing individual bars like we did has some kind of effect, because in replacement tests in real PAF's with my Allstar remaining magnets, I couldn't tell any difference between the vintage and the new rough cast mags. I still have quite a few of those left and some of the Maghold ones. The second batch from Maghold came out way too thick to use, so I had them grind them flat to my specs. Was a sad day because theirs looked like originals.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
            X