help with chassis wiring holes JTM45 type build with Radiospheres Deluxe OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with chassis wiring holes JTM45 type build with Radiospheres Deluxe OT

So, months ago I got a kit without the transformers and a few other parts. I read raves about the tone people were getting using the Mercury Radiospheres Deluxe output trans. Since its a multi purpose thing, it has 9 wires on the primary side for various output tubes. My problem is getting the 9 wires routed into the chassis, through the grommet hole. I had the wiring holes drilled out so a 1/2" ID grommet would fit (had a 3/8" ID grommet originally). With 1/2" ID, the wires fit, but the hole on the bottom of the end bells is offset just enough from the hole in the chassis, that the bundle of 9 wires can't make that S shaped curve into the hole. If I push a little on the top of the transformer with all of the wires in, it pushes the grommet out a little. I think there is way too much stress on the edge of the cable where it meets the grommet.

Sadly, I dug out the paperwork for the transformer and it shows end bells with 2 holes each. Each hole having only 3 or 4 wires (one has 5). Would have been nice if I had the option at the beginning, but the single hole in the middle for each end bell is already drilled, so no way to drill 2 smaller holes and patch the bigger hole.

If I go much larger like 5/8" or 11/16" for the grommet hole, will the wiring hang too loosely into the chassis, and cause problems at the connections of the wires inside the transformer? Im guessing that they always offset the chassis holes from where the wires come out the bottom of the transformers, to relieve some of the weight of the wires hanging from the bottom of the transformer.

Also, is there some problem with a bigger hole leaking some kind of signal into the chassis? (RF or magnetic or ??? from stuff on top of the chassis, or the other way around, from the HV wiring inside the chassis, out through the bigger hole?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.
Working...
X