Thread: Cosby Convicted ... Could Get Life

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 0/0

Cosby Convicted ... Could Get Life

Cosby was convicted on all 3 counts of aggravated indecent assault. If he gets the 10 year per offense sentences that they're talking about on the news, and he serves them sequentially, he could go away for life.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/0
    Given: 38/2
    I believe he's 83, so 10 yrs will probably be a life sentence, and good riddance to him IMHO.
    Couldn't have happened to a sleazier guy.

Its worth noting that it was only after he stopped making money for Hollywood that he become vulnerable to justice.

While ensconced in the entertainment industry their protective mechanisms are just too efficient to allow any of their alphas to be bothered by "the little people's laws". They've even tried to make their "fixers" worthy of hero worship in highly stylized TV shows; see "Scandal" or "House of Lies".

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 2/0
    The same with all of the paedos and molesters that worked for the BBC in the UK. Especially DJ and presenter Jimmy Saville, who turned out to be the UK's worst ever sex offender. Protected because they're celebrities and the complaints from ordinary people dismissed and not acted upon.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 60/0
    Given: 37/0
    I guess there is not a lot of people wanting to watch Cosby Show reruns much these days.

When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/1
    Given: 8/0
    Which is why I think all those actors, writers, producers, and crew that would have received residuals from syndicating the show and running it as often as Seinfeld, MASH, and Big Bang Theory, ought to sue Cosby for loss of income. He pissed away their future, and they should be compensated.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/0
    Given: 38/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    The same with all of the paedos and molesters that worked for the BBC in the UK. Especially DJ and presenter Jimmy Saville, who turned out to be the UK's worst ever sex offender. Protected because they're celebrities and the complaints from ordinary people dismissed and not acted upon.
    There is (almost) never any real justice for the rich/powerful. Which is precisely why the rare outliers are so covered, its all part of the necessary PR to sell the gullible masses to "buy into" the system. Hollywood does double duty here: many a "Law and Order" episode depicts a well known wealthy scofflaw but they pretend they get punished in the end; they had an entire show on a Jeffrey Epstein-like hedge fund rapist/pedophile who ended up in jail while in reality he's a free (sick) man.

Fake News begins with fake fiction, they smoothly alternate on our public medias. Cosby's fake narrative got drowned out by his inconvenient reality, but it held for +50 years.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Which is why I think all those actors, writers, producers, and crew that would have received residuals from syndicating the show and running it as often as Seinfeld, MASH, and Big Bang Theory, ought to sue Cosby for loss of income. He pissed away their future, and they should be compensated.
    More accurately, he ejaculated away their future. But I think it's crazy to think that anyone could recover lost residuals from Cosby as there was no tort against those individuals.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by tedmich View Post
    While ensconced in the entertainment industry their protective mechanisms are just too efficient to allow any of their alphas to be bothered by "the little people's laws". They've even tried to make their "fixers" worthy of hero worship in highly stylized TV shows; see "Scandal" or "House of Lies".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    In the UK the Government has a vested interest in protecting their own TV personalities, as the Government owns the BBC and profits directly by perpetuating the popularity of their celebrities. I see an obvious conflict of interest, which may suggest why prosecution is deferred.

In the USA the same thing is going on, but the Government doesn't directly own the news media and the conflict of interest isn't quite as direct. That isn't to say that the government isn't in bed with the media though. We see great participation from Hollywood in supporting one political party in particular. After the pretty faces do everything they can to assist in the election of their party's candidate, the fact that back scratching occurs isn't all that surprising. Unfortunately here in the USA much of the electorate is so dumb that they believe what Hollywood tells them to believe and they elect who Hollywood tells them to elect. It's been going on for a long time.

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 158/0
    Given: 139/0
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    In the UK the Government has a vested interest in protecting their own TV personalities, as the Government owns the BBC and profits directly by perpetuating the popularity of their celebrities. I see an obvious conflict of interest, which may suggest why prosecution is deferred.
    This is factually incorrect. The BBC is neither state owned or controlled. It does not profit from it either.

Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    True. As "the public broadcaster", there is a certain degree of subtle patriotism expected. But the BBC would not be expected to skewer public figures, whether political or in entertainment, any less than, say, Comedy Central in the USA. In Canada, the CBC has a similar position as a government-subsidized entity, but they hold little to nothing back in hoisting folks up on their own petards; sometimes to their own detriment.

All of that said, there is a certain schema that declares "If I am familiar with this individual's role/stature in the media, then I reject any claimed misdeeds on their part." For example, suppose it came out that Walter Cronkite was a meth addict and skirt-chaser. Would people believe it? Likely not.

I refer people to a terrific Italian film from the early 70's called "Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion". A police chief murders his mistress and pins the blame on a young revolutionary-type student, but leaves all manner of clues to his own guilt sitting around; all of which are dismissed or rationalized away by his staff. Not a documentary, but gives one an idea of how such things can happen. (It's actually classified as a comedy)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Nick, thanks for correcting that misconception. I guess it's fair to ask: Is the BBC is subsidized by the British government?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    All of that said, there is a certain schema that declares "If I am familiar with this individual's role/stature in the media, then I reject any claimed misdeeds on their part." For example, suppose it came out that Walter Cronkite was a meth addict and skirt-chaser. Would people believe it? Likely not.
    Mark, when I think of Cronkite, I think of him as an old man. In that context even if he were a skirt chaser he was probably not a skirt catcher.

Interesting that you would bring up the trusted news anchor example. Is that an indirect commentary on the current sexual misconduct allegations against Tom Brokaw? Supposedly he made "unwanted advances" toward a colleague 20 years ago.

It's unfortunate that according to today's standards, asking a woman out on a date and getting declined could lead to accusations of "unwanted advances" 20 years later, if somebody has an axe to grind.

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 158/0
    Given: 139/0
    Nick, thanks for correcting that misconception. I guess it's fair to ask: Is the BBC is subsidized by the British government?
    It's funded by a license fee and by various commercial activities, but no Government subsidy.

Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    It's often hard to know how to address a workplace wrong from many years ago. If it is a criminal act (as was the case in the Cosby verdict), that's one thing. I'm also not entirely placated by claims of "Well, you know, times were different then". Again, if it was a criminal act, I don't care how different times were. Where it gets fuzzy is when the actions kinda creeped somebody out, but didn't cross any line into criminality.

I've had the pleasure of working with data from a large-scale survey of Canadian federal employees for a number of years. More specifically, I had a hand in developing the survey content examining harassment in the workplace. And while I don't want to diminish or dismiss the findings, sexual harassment constitutes a very small percentage of what gets reported (Around 7% of the 20% who say they were harassed in the previous 2 years indicate it was sexual harassment. So, around 1.5% of everybody, although we don't know if it is aggregious or something that was annoying, complained about, and fixed. A significant proportion of people who reported being harassed said they took care of the problem themselves, by confronting the "harasser" and ironing things out.) Again, that is not to diminish the seriousness of those few cases where things were clearly beyond the point of criminal. In many instances, when people said they felt harassed, they were essentially using that survey item to convey that they worked in a bit of a pressure-cooker environment and managerial expectations could get unrealistic. That's not everybody, but a not insignificant chunk of employees.

In any event, that digression aside, what can be remembered as "Unwanted sexual advances" can be something aggregious and verging on Weinstein-esque behaviour, but can also be something that was a little overly hopeful on the part of the instigator, but not likely to end up in exploitation of authority in some manner. That on remembers it as creeping them out, because iot came from an unexpected source, is not the same as deliberately crossing the line in predatory fashion. One of the perpetual difficulties in the area of harassment is that it is often defined on the basis of the perception of the situation and behaviour by the person feeling harassed, rather than objectively measurable behaviour on the part of the presumed harasser. Again, that is not to dismiss anything, but time can make a recalled event seem more benign, OR more serious. I wish there was a magical litmus test to know which of those a recalled incident is.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 116/0
    Given: 77/0
    In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required to hold a television licence. Businesses, hospitals, schools and a range of other organisations are also required to hold television licences to watch and record live TV broadcasts. A television licence is also required to receive video on demand programme services provided by the BBC, on the iPlayer catch-up service.

Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the British Broadcasting Corporation. The total income from licence fees was 3.7872 billion in 2016–17 of which 630.4 million or 16.6% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (76.4%) of the BBC's total income of 4.954 billion in 2016–2017.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tele...United_Kingdom

I signed up for a VPN in August 2016, in part so that I could watch streaming video from the BBC stations by using a British IP address. Well, my timing was bad as the next month a new law went into effect requiring me to purchase a 12 month license for around $150. Ouch!

(Before that change took effect the viewing license was paid for the property address and not required for watching streaming video so I did watch a few BBC shows while I still could.)

Steve A.

P.S. Instead of paying for a viewing license here in the US we have to watch all of those damned commercials (unless we DVR the shows and fast forward through the ads.)

Last edited by Steve A.; 05-01-2018 at 04:00 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 116/0
    Given: 77/0
    It's unfortunate that according to today's standards, asking a woman out on a date and getting declined could lead to accusations of "unwanted advances" 20 years later, if somebody has an axe to grind.
    Accusations, yes, which might even get you fired. But nothing that would stand up in court...

Yes, we definitely need to bring back the good old standards when us men could practically get away with murder!

Steve A.

Thread Information