No announcement yet.

any suggetions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, but them main reason people want it TB is to insure zero tonal degradation. I hear none of that. It just happens to ADD some unwanted artifacts but the tone doesn't change. What you are talking about probably if full on mechanical bypass which apparently it doesn't have. I think we discussed this here once about how some pedals use something called virtual true bypass or something along those lines. This is probably what we have here. Non TB cuts the signal out completely w/o a PSU connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      So why is the LFO audible when the unit is powered by a battery and switched off? Not true enough bypass apparently.?.
      True Bypass refers **only** to signal Hot, but signal Ground is always used.

If pedal layout is terrible, or worse, didnīt have TBP at the Factory but it was added later by some YT University graduate, or is a Boutique pedal which almost guarantees the YTU diploma, any/all of these may mean a terrible, very dirty pedal ground.

Tell us something about that pedal, some gut picture showing grounding, etc.

The idea being:
      * if you have gross 1000mV ripple on the +9V rail, you van filter it down into inaudibility.

*if you have minuscule 1mV buzz **on the groiund line**, it will be *everywhere*.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        True Bypass refers **only** to signal Hot, but signal Ground is always used.

If pedal layout is terrible, or worse, didnīt have TBP at the Factory but it was added later by some YT University graduate, or is a Boutique pedal which almost guarantees the YTU diploma, any/all of these may mean a terrible, very dirty pedal ground.

Tell us something about that pedal, some gut picture showing grounding, etc.

The idea being:
        * if you have gross 1000mV ripple on the +9V rail, you van filter it down into inaudibility.

*if you have minuscule 1mV buzz **on the groiund line**, it will be *everywhere*.
        I'm not worried about the hum, it goes away with a battery so i know i can figure it out. My problem is the clock ticking which i believe is what it is and not fixable because even using the pedal by itself (not on the board with others) and using a battery and the chorus off the ticking is apparent. So It's going back, i already did a return request.

Comment

What do you guys make of this comment i got at a forum when asking for recommendations for chorus that doesn't make that clicking noise...

The clicking sound that you detest is the nature of true bypass pedals esp at lower price points. Boss pedals are buffered, so there is no clicking sound.
          Is he correct do you think? I would think the opposite but then being boss are not TB and are probably the #1 pedal manufacturer of all time, maybe he's onto something? I suppose a buffered pedal might be the way to go, tho i always figured buffers may be more likely to affect tone than TB.

Comment

To me it looks like hogwash. A true bypass means there is an electrical switch BYPASSING the entire circuit. In other words any buffering would be bypassed.

The popularity of the pedal, or the brand, or the number of them made does not change that fact.

True bypass means when it is turned off it is the same as not being there entirely.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
              What do you guys make of this comment i got at a forum when asking for recommendations for chorus that doesn't make that clicking noise...
              Sounds like hogwash to me. "Buffered" could amount to nothing more than a small value capacitor from the output of the oscillator circuit to ground. But you shouldn't have to attempt modification to a pedal to make it work correctly. I have a BOSS and it doesn't tick.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Sweet! Enzo and I just simulposted and used the same derogative
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That's the way that I would think of true bypass, but it's not the way that many designers are designing pedals today. Many of them do put the bypass after a buffer stage.
                  "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Is he correct do you think? I would think the opposite but then being boss are not TB and are probably the #1 pedal manufacturer of all time, maybe he's onto something? I suppose a buffered pedal might be the way to go, tho i always figured buffers may be more likely to affect tone than TB.
                    I second Enzo that it’s bs. Lol. Have you considered an old Ibanez CS9? Click image for larger version

Name:	AA33BDF6-50CD-4280-8579-C8316BA493C5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	849494 Its analog. I’ve been using this one for over 35 years. Pretty sure it’s what Andy Summers used. Sounds like The Police. It isn’t true bypassed but most of my pedals are. I find a mix of buffered and tb works the best.
                    Last edited by olddawg; 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Many of them do put the bypass after a buffer stage.
                      Then they are not telling the truth to call their product a true bypass unit.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The comment "The clicking sound that you detest is the nature of true bypass pedals esp at lower price points. Boss pedals are buffered, so there is no clicking sound." appears to me to be directed towards the click on switching, rather than a ticking clock noise. I think it's out of context to your actual problem. It's true that many TB pedals suffer switch clicking - often due to lack of anti-pop resistors.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          Then they are not telling the truth to call their product a true bypass unit.
                          Seriously now, you expect people selling stompboxes to tell the truth?

The entire industry is based upon the idea that some guy in his basement can copy someone else's design and sell it to the unwary as a high priced "boutique" product.
                          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I think the guy knew what i was talking about because i discussed the chorus' internal clock ticking even when the unit is off, so i don't think that would be confused with footswitch clicking. He just used a different word then me. But hey, maybe he dd mean that who knows. In any case i'm pickup up a old DOD analog FX64 tomorrow for cheap. Everything i read indicates it's free of all the issues and sounds very good to boot, which according to my ears using a number of youtube clips seems to be the case. But it's at a guitar center so if it does suck tone or tick or any of that it just goes back to them.

Comment

The clicking sound that you detest is the nature of true bypass pedals esp at lower price points. Boss pedals are buffered, so there is no clicking sound.
                              may have some truth in it if itīs slightly edited or commented.

The clicking sound that you detest is the nature of true bypass pedals esp at lower price points.
                              IF made by unexperienced YTU graduates who have no clue.

Boss pedals are buffered,
                              which is quite irrelevant, but are designed and made by experienced and qualified people

so there is no clicking sound.
                              You bet.

Congratulations, you said it right.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

But since i discovered the clock ticking thing is there even when powering the chorus with it's own 9v battery with the PSU powering everything else, i realized it's got to go back. That ticking will obviously be there no matter what. Crappy design. I just hope they don't try and stick me with shipping for this POS.
                                Did you buy it on eBay? They now have a return procedure which can make the seller pay for shipping charges both ways *if* eBay rules in your favor. This is for items that were defective or not as described.

It can be tricky so I'd recommend calling eBay and have them talk you through it:
                                1-866-487-3229
                                Monday to Sunday 5:00 am to 10:00 pm (PT)

Follow these links:

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

https://res.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ResolutionCenter

Good luck!

Steve A.

P.S. You might want to check to see if this is a known problem with your particular pedal... if they are all like that then eBay might rule in the seller's favor if he presents a strong defense.

I was successful in returning a univibe-style pedal that added an ugly distortion to every note... the seller kept saying to run it in an FX loop and to keep the input signal down but the pedal was defective, plain and simple. Had I been forced to eat shipping both ways it would have cost me $25 for a $38 item... ouch!

.Click image for larger version

Name:	RC_800-Screenshot_2018-05-13-01-15-21_20180513011702728.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	849543Click image for larger version

Name:	PH#_800-Screenshot_2018-05-13-01-20-51_20180513012226277.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	849544
                                The Blue Guitar
                                www.blueguitar.org
                                Some recordings:
                                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                                X