Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for flexible molded 3-prong power cables??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for flexible molded 3-prong power cables??

I like to use molded plugs on replacement power chords as it minimizes the risk of customers doing something stupid. The problem is that most of them are stiff and awkward to manage. I've been looking for a reasonably priced flexible alternative and I'm not really coming up with anything. I would love a heads up if you guys have a vendor you can recommend.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

The cable I use is TRS (tough rubber sheath) though I have to use rewireable plugs with this. It stands lots of abuse that would ruin a PVC cable, is very flexible and lies flat on the floor. Maybe in the US there are cable assemblies using this.

Comment

I'd sure like to see a good answer to this too. Time was, I used to buy rolls of what's supposed to be a good quality cable, rubber coated SJ or SJT by Carol, 250 feet to the roll. And a batch of separate Edison "dead front" grounded plugs. The obvious advantage was that I could make an AC cable as long or short as the customer wanted. What eventually turned me off, amps I had installed this cable on returned to me for servicing after 20 years in use, the outer insulation on their cables was starting to crack and shred. So I found a good source of vinyl insulated cable sets with moulded plugs and that's what I've been using ever since. If a customer insists on rubber, I have a roll of the Carol 16-3 to keep them satisfied.

Rubber insulation that doesn't start to split & shred after 20 years, that's the goal. But I'm afraid that's one of the properties of rubber, it doesn't last forever. Now I gotta get a set of tires for my Jeep, they're getting pretty long in the tooth though there's still plenty of tread left. I bought 'em about 13 years ago, so it's high time for a change.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Hell, I would even take these as an IEC cables in just cut the end off if I had to. I had an Mac Pro tower a few years back that had an awesome molded power cable come to think of it? It was large diameter, tough, and very flexible. Unfortunately, like most of their accessories, It was white. But if I could find something like that in a dark gray or black, I could make that work.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I find those IEC 'computer' cables a bit on the short side, but do use them (black ones) a fair bit. Local thrift shop usually has a bin and they go for a buck or sometimes 50 cent.
          Even more flexible, we have dedicated 'block heater' extension cords here to plug your car block heater in during winter. They are designed for outdoor extreme cold temp. use. They are really flexible, other things designed for similar environment may be same?
          I just chop off the socket end like I do with the IEC's.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I find those IEC 'computer' cables a bit on the short side, but do use them (black ones) a fair bit. Local thrift shop usually has a bin and they go for a buck or sometimes 50 cent.
            Even more flexible, we have dedicated 'block heater' extension cords here to plug your car block heater in during winter. They are designed for outdoor extreme cold temp. use. They are really flexible, other things designed for similar environment may be same?
            I just chop off the socket end like I do with the IEC's.
            IEC cables are another good source - I buy them 10 feet long a dozen or two at a time. Can't beat the thrift shop price for shorter cables, and those 4 to 6 footers may come in handy for small amps or those customers who are sure there will be an outlet nearby on stage, in studio or at home. My fave is an 18-3, kinda skinny but I don't need to drill out the chassis to fit a bigger one. These I get from Magic Parts / Ruby. From Mouser I buy a 100 bag of Heyco strain relief / clamps to fit, lasts me a good 5 years or so. About the vinyl cables - can't say I've ever had a failure. Those I source from Magic are temperature rated 105C. And they're plenty flexible. Somewhere in Canada there must be a source for you.

I'll have to keep an eye open for block heater extensions.

Comment

I found an AWG 16x3 SJTW 10 foot extension cord at Wal-Mart. Brand name is Hyper Tough, a trademark of Wal-Mart. It's skinny enough to fit the strain relief on old Fender amps. Diameter looks to be 5/16 of an inch. Insulation is PVC.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                Rubber insulation that doesn't start to split & shred after 20 years, that's the goal. But I'm afraid that's one of the properties of rubber, it doesn't last forever.
                Newer cables are made of synthetic rubber (neoprene etc) of varying types according to severity of use. The stuff I get is rated for outdoor use and is sold by pool suppliers for wet environments. I don't know how long it will last, but have cables from the early 90s that are as good as the day I installed them. Maybe the older types that crack are natural rubber. Certainly the new stuff has a very different non-rubbery smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  Newer cables are made of synthetic rubber (neoprene etc) of varying types according to severity of use. The stuff I get is rated for outdoor use and is sold by pool suppliers for wet environments. I don't know how long it will last, but have cables from the early 90s that are as good as the day I installed them. Maybe the older types that crack are natural rubber. Certainly the new stuff has a very different non-rubbery smell.
                  Thanks Mick, I'll keep an eye open for neoprene cable. Meanwhile, I still have a good 60m of that Carol 16-3. No matter, it will be put to use somehow.

Comment

I buy IEC cables in bulk from Apex Jr. Cut the ends off to use as safety AC cords, or use them as is as needed. Just had a VOX come in yesterday that wouldn't power up, it was the power cord.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                      I buy IEC cables in bulk from Apex Jr. Cut the ends off to use as safety AC cords, or use them as is as needed. Just had a VOX come in yesterday that wouldn't power up, it was the power cord.
                      Guitar amps hopefully include a heavier gauge IEC cable than those that come with computers and peripherals... and longer, too! Any good source for industrial strength IEC cords?

Steve A.
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                        Guitar amps hopefully include a heavier gauge IEC cable than those that come with computers and peripherals... and longer, too! Any good source for industrial strength IEC cords?

Steve A.
                        Yes agreed! I cant count how many times I have received modern gear with the IEC being brought in for servicing with a IEC digital accessory cord instead of the actual heavier duty appliance rated IEC cord that likely came with the amp. I assume that people gig and all the cords get piled together in a box or something and it becomes a mixed up grab bag. They pair the amp with the wrong cord and the amp ends up struggling, popping fuses or whatever else that happens. Some of these IEC digital accessory cords only contain 18-16 gauged wire at best! I had an amp where the end of the cable was nearly fused into the back of the socket from all the heat. Compound this problem with guys gigging in a parking lot or courtyard outside somewhere and the whole band is powered through a pair of multi outlet powerstrips fed by a 100 ft bargain extension cord!
                        I have inadvertently given away most all of my HD IEC power cords because I hated to see any amp I just have serviced leave out the door with some wimpy wrong digital accessory IEC cord.
                        I wish for a nice inexpensive surplus source for Heavy Duty Appliance Rated IEC cords to buy in bulk to keep in inventory for repairs. They should be inexpensive enough that if I need a plug n play IEC for newer amp, cool its in stock!
                        If we need to replace a frayed cord on older amp its cost effective enough to just chop off the molded end! I have seen these cable offered at a local hamfest, so I know others must have bulk surplus too!
                        If an amp comes in with a wimpy cord or no cord then you can offer it up as a nice bonus service.
                        Phineus J. Whoopy, you are the greatest! May just get one more peek at that three dimensional blackboard please?

Comment

Good for 15 amps: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apollo-Ho...trip/103743301

Comment

These are 18g, but that's what 65 Deluxe Reverb and many other mid size Fender come with. I get $15/ea for them, never had an issue or a complaint.

Wire

Ordering with the downloaded mail in order form can be a little clunky, but Steve is a good guy and if you know what you want, and can catch him on the phone, he will take care of you.
                            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Seriously?
                              People throw them out all the time.
                              Or thrift stores have them cheap.

May take a little time to find longer ones.
                              Also check vacuum cleaners people throw out.
                              Sometimes they are 3 prong and very long.

Comment

Working...
                              X