Parts Express (Deal of the Day) – New great deal posted everyday.
Speaker Building - Build your perfect speaker with our parts and supplies.
Wire & Cable - We carry a large selection of bulk reels to completed cables in every style and length.
Parts-Express.com - Great selection of DIY project kits
I know "De-Reeler" is a bit of a misnomer here. But it's close enough. Sorry for the lapse in my vocabulary. Anyway, onto the good stuff.
I've been using this for months. Here's what's required: a plastic jar with a screw-on lid, a wooden dowel, a wood screw, a wooden or glass bead, and a drill and a reamer.
The idea is simple: get a wooden dowel. Sand it so it fits snugly into the hole in the center of your spool of magnet wire. Now get a plastic jar. I used these for the 1lb spools:
You can either epoxy the dowel to the middle of the lid of the jar, or drill a hole in the middle of the lid and attach the dowel with a screw. I've found the screw method more reliable as even with sanding, the plastic lids don't seem to like bonding to epoxy a whole lot. I haven't found the head of the screw sticking out on the lid significant when it comes to the jars staying put. They seem just fine.
Now, with the jar upside down, drill a hole in the "dimple" on the bottom. I use a reamer afterwards until a glass or wooden bead fits very, very snugly into the hole. Half of the bead should be sticking out of the top, and half of it sticking out the bottom. I use CA glue or epoxy to secure it in place. Now load your spool onto the dowel on the lid, guide the magnet wire through the bead, screw your jar down onto your lid, tape the wire to the outside of the jar and you have the best looking, most functional de-reeler that exists. It's that easy.
Currently my winder maxes out at 2500 RPM, but I have had zero issues winding dozens of pickups using this de-reeler even at that speed. It works perfectly every single time, and you simply tape the wire to the outside of the jar when you're done. You will NEVER lose the wire this way.
I haven't found a jar that's the right size for 5lb spools yet, but I adapted the same method. I simply taped the jar lid down to some plywood instead of screwing it onto a lid. But as soon as I find a jar that's the right size for 5lb spools I'll upgrade to that. However the "less professional" looking dereeler I use on my 5lb has been working every bit as well and has had zero issues.
Once you see these pictures you'll get it immediately. Couldn't be easier:
These have been working fantastic for me for a long time now, and I just wanted to share this method with other people. Has saved me a ton of headaches and I think it also looks really cool.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)