1970 Traynor YGM-3 O/T problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting and weird.
    Agree with Helmholtz, phase shouldn't really be doing it, but something must be causing the effect you are hearing. Maybe stray L or C related to how the TX is wound?
    If it's really a phase issue, I'd think changing the TX winding back to how it was and flipping the phase at either end of the tank at the jack should give the same result (in case you feel like experimenting ).
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Interesting and weird.
      Agree with Helmholtz, phase shouldn't really be doing it, but something must be causing the effect you are hearing. Maybe stray L or C related to how the TX is wound?
      If it's really a phase issue, I'd think changing the TX winding back to how it was and flipping the phase at either end of the tank at the jack should give the same result (in case you feel like experimenting ).
      Thanks g1, yeah, seems weird to me too, but I don't know enough to figure it out.
      I'm just a monkey with a soldering iron.

Anyway swapping the TX wires helped so I'm gonna leave it.
      It only makes a slight distorted reverb sound now when the control is full up.

It's still a usable sound, but not likely I'll run it like that very much.

Oh, just remembered...

Before I swapped the TX wires, I was playing it at full vol and full reverb and watching the power tube current.

I have 1 ohm R's on the cathodes of the EL-84's so I monitor the voltage across them which of course = the current thru the tube.

Saw the current go as high as 50 - 60mA on peaks.

After I swapped the TX wires and played the same, it had trouble hitting 50mA.

Idle current at 20mA.

Maybe something was/is oscillating?
      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Yes, that makes more sense, some kind of oscillation due to the phase that you have either cured or subdued.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well...

I think it's still oscillating somewhere... relatively minor, but still a concern.

I'm gonna tinker with lead dress and see if I can make it show itself.
          If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
          I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Get out your toothbrush and isopropyl alchohol and clean all those board solder joins.
            Why? - because then you will be able to tell if any off them are dry joints or fractured joints which may be contributing to, or be the root cause of your problem.

Cheers,
            Ian

Comment

Working...
            X