Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those damn neon signs!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 2/0
    Of course they do. A much smaller % of the population though, particularly AM. Today I could run the thing and likely no one in the several block interference range would notice!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,885/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    AM works when nothing else will. I have one that runs on a tiny crank generator. Even a crystal set if everything went to sh@t....
    Agree.

I share some traits with Survivalists, plus loving Minimalism, so the idea of eventually being able to "downdate" (opposite of "update") to the Technologically simplest solution for lots of stuff rings a bell for me.

Still very much use an AM radio everyday, idly babbling/chattering a few feet away while I do boring but necessary stuff such as cutting/rounding/sanding/painting wood panels, assembling cabinets, winding transformers, cutting/punching sheet metal, etc. , can´t stand silence.

Just turn it on, tune it to something I want to listen at the moment, put it in an apron pocket and it goes everywhere I go, as simple as that.

**Might** setup a wide area WiFi connection or something, setup a Music or Podcast server and carry everywhere some kind of digital receiver with headphones, etc. , that is the modern solution, but so far the humble AM radio has been a faithful companion for the last 49 years

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3,075/5
    Given: 3,715/0
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Still very much use an AM radio everyday, idly babbling/chattering a few feet away while I do boring but necessary stuff such as cutting/rounding/sanding/painting wood panels, assembling cabinets, winding transformers, cutting/punching sheet metal, etc. , can´t stand silence.
    Lest the voices in your head make an impression and you, and maybe a few others, end up in the paper (I understand ).

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,183/24
    Given: 5,497/11
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Just turn it on, tune it to something I want to listen at the moment, put it in an apron pocket and it goes everywhere I go, as simple as that.
    Ah, a transistor radio!
    I have one like the green here, branded as 'sweet sound'. Still running fine since childhood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9231129835_d9bd4b50dc_b.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	48799

"Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 77/0
    Given: 0/0
    Analog radio isn't dead yet. It's not like the world has been captured by XM/Sirius.

Maybe I'm just wrong on this, but I think that XM/Sirius is a smaller segment of the population than plain old AM/FM radios.

Am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to subscribe to a satellite service just to have tunes in the car?

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 478/6
    Given: 56/1
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Ah, a transistor radio!
    I have one like the green here, branded as 'sweet sound'. Still running fine since childhood.

Name:	9231129835_d9bd4b50dc_b.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	48799
    I can remember having a "3 transistor" radio placed firmly against my ear in the back
    seat (no seat belt of course) of the family car on road trips as a child in the very early 60s. I repaired a delco am radio out of my friend's 63 Chevy a while back. Supposedly their first all transitor one. It had one PNP output transitor. He said you should start a business. Nobody can do this anymore. I said no thanks. I still listen to AM in my car.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 266/0
    Given: 133/1
    The computers at my work would go crazy every once in a while, seemingly at random times. The computers were connected to test gear. Then someone noticed that an AM radio would pickup a static type noise that corresponded with the computers going crazy. Turned out a guy a couple of doors down was arch welding. Do AM radios pickup those neon signs?

WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Member Emeritus Forever Steve A.'s Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 130/0
    Given: 77/0
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    You can shield a cavity all day but a single coil pickup will still pick up radiated hum and buzz. Especially a P90. This particular one is a "dog ear" Mount and has a large steel back plate. It shields it better than a "soapbar" configuration. But I found out Saturday night it will still hum like a whore on meth in a bad room. There's one club I know that's even worse. The back wall of the stage is up against a large gas station with a thousand fluorescents and a power company stepdown transformer farm.
    Shielding cavities helps with the buzz but not with the hum picked up by single coil pickups. Mojotone has come out with their line of Quiet Coil pickups which are supposed to sound a lot like real single coils (I just rec'd a set of their tele Quiet Coils but have not yet installed them.)

The worst club I ever played at had Christmas lights strung around the stage area connected to cheap dimmers. It was great for testing out my dummy coil experiments...

There was another club that was dead quiet with single coil pickups, even with a neon sign in the window about 15 feet from the stage. After a change of ownership they moved the stage to the opposite side of the club and had a "consultant" add lighting which made it noisy as all heck for single coil pickups.

Steve A.

P.S. Wrapping single coil pickups with copper foil tape helps, too, but can can affect the sound by cutting highs. Definitely a mistake with the Lindy Fralin strat pickups I bought in the 90's...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 543/1
    Given: 456/0
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. View Post
    There are two main styles. One comes with just terminals on the primary and secondary, intended for hard-wiring into a building or equipment. The second and more useful for this kind of thing has a heavy input power cord, an overall metal shell, and outlets on the secondary side so you can just plug into them.

I don't remember seeing any with what would be a breaker panel. But then, I'm fairly cavalier about what appurtenances come with electrical gear. If I wanted a small breaker panel, Home Despot carries four breaker panels for about $20, and breakers are about $5 each.

Here's one example.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minigard-35...gAAOSwUuFWuO9G
    This one will provide power for any combination of loads up to 500W. Your amp will have a rating plate on the back. Well, it SHOULD have a rating plate on it. That plate will tell you how many watts it uses. If your amp is less than 500W, this one will do fine. The only bad news with this one, like all CVTs, this one is heavy. It's 40 pounds all by itself. So it costs to ship and hurts to schlep.
    I guess I just wanted to bring it up so that if one were to drive their own earth rod, they would ensure that they included the necessary complaint safety devices to protect against fault current.

If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I played a good sized Mother's Day event Sunday. New constitution outdoor stage behind a roadhouse on its own breaker panel and a proper ground. No lights because it started at noon (argh). No hum in my single coils at all!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Mothers' Day event at the Roadhouse?

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    Mothers' Day event at the Roadhouse?
    Bikers are a sentimental bunch. BBQ and shots. Place was packed.

Name:	IMG_7393.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	48861
    Not bad for 63 and a recent heart attack. Lol!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Rockin' that new Junior!

Last edited by bob p; 05-18-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Do you feel like we do, or Show me the way, or both?
    Or maybe neither but some Aerosmith?

"Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Pretty guitar. Looks good on ya

Caught my attention right away since my partscaster is all natural with a tortoise shell pick guard. Now I'm Jonesing for a Junior. I have a Special, but it's red.

Who made that guitar?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Had to post this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1j7kw7.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	48865  

Last edited by Chuck H; 05-18-2018 at 04:11 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,687/2
    Given: 1,218/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Had to post this:

I don't see anything? Did you forget something, Mr. Potato Head?

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    If you look at the code to his post, he referenced an attachment image. The board isn't displaying the image properly. It says the image is invalid.

Code:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/48862d1526604028-1j7kw7.jpg

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,785/21
    Given: 1,461/0
    Semi off topic but here we go. Because the Junior is capable of such a fine tone, and also makes for a terrific slide guitar.

Perhaps a bit less well known, Day In The Sun. The track was cut with a Junior, because I told him he oughta use it. Turned out well dinnit? First chart action for him in a long long time in February & March 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBuPetQ506c

Bonus Track! Live performance for Suddeutche Rundfunk's "Ohne Filter" show in Nov. 1995. Yes that's Bob Mayo Bob Mayo on stage right. Guitarists dressed in fashionable at that time grunge plaid shirts. Gotta dress warm when you're on a foggy chilly Bavarian hilltop in November. Same guitar as he used in the studio. Sound's a little thin but ... what can you do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZAetZvI4c

And yes olddawg, yer lookin' terrific in that photo, so is the guitar. Keep up the good work!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Or maybe neither but some Aerosmith?
    I'm thinking that the bikers would rather hear Mama Kin.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Isn't that an Aerosmith tune?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Had to post this:
    What's that? Looks so pretty, pretty vacant.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm seeing the image from post #51 fine.
    But there was another posted recently I could not see here:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46587/#post495440

Weird.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Semi off topic but here we go. Because the Junior is capable of such a fine tone, and also makes for a terrific slide guitar.
    Dammit Leo!

Until now I had been successful at keeping the idea of a kit Junior out of my head. I really can't accommodate another guitar, I've bought 2 guitars in the past month, not including the partscaster that I'm still working on... when I get that finished, it will be the 3rd guitar in the past month.

And now you've got me thinking that I need to build one of these inexpensive Chinese Kit Juniors to have a dedicated P90 slide guitar. It would be a simple, glue-it-up exercise without a lot of fretting about all those things that 'dog had to worry about...

... must resist ...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Isn't that an Aerosmith tune?
    Indeed. First Album, before they sang about Elevators and Dudes that look like Ladies.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm seeing the image from post #51 fine.
    But there was another posted recently I could not see here:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46587/#post495440

Weird.
    FWIW, I can't see either image. Hmmmmmm.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh, Elevator! And all this time I thought it was about 'lovin' an alligator' .

Thumbs Up/Down
    ... must resist ...
    Resistance is futile. String your prize with a D'add 11 set, tune open D, slide with Dunlop chromed heavy brass and bob's your uncle. Oops, bob's YOU!

Thumbs Up/Down
    In honor of Lowell George, I'll use a Craftsman deep socket.

Last edited by bob p; 05-18-2018 at 03:37 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    In honor of Lowell George, I'll use a Craftsman deep socket.
    Right, Lowell name checks the Craftsman product, and they do make perfectly good slides. Just don't go barefoot or wear sandals while using one. If you drop it on your toes you'll have a heck of a bruise. Could upset da riddim Of course use the diameter that fits your finger.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Leo, the deep spark plug socket has that little rubber insert that keeps it from falling off. Surely thats the ticket.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I use a Craftsman socket that I cut down and lined the inside with masking tape when I was fourteen years old!!! Well, That and a Dunlop glass tube But yeah, the socket thing sort of implies itself. Just cut off the heavy end if you have the tools.

I amended my post above with a typical attachment link. Yes, weird. The original post shows up fine on my screen.?.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I use the Dunlop glass myself, but the Coricidin bottle used to be the thing. Good enough for Duane Allman anyway.

Name:	7ba1d05b95d7ea85423b6784f09a0a20.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	48866

Thumbs Up/Down
    It's all in how you use it. I've seen guys KILL IT with a Bic lighter and the mic stand.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Right, Lowell name checks the Craftsman product, and they do make perfectly good slides. Just don't go barefoot or wear sandals while using one. If you drop it on your toes you'll have a heck of a bruise. Could upset da riddim
    Not a problem. I can't remember the last time I played slide while dressed like Jimmy Buffett.

The Lowell Lore says that he used an 11/16 spark-plug socket and removed the rubber thingy. I'm thinking that you'd have to have pencil-fingers to be able to use a spark plug socket with the rubber thingy still inside.

Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.

Thread Information