Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Those damn neon signs!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,687/2
    Given: 1,218/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    It's all in how you use it......
    Next, you're gonna tell me size doesn't matter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,687/2
    Given: 1,218/1
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    ......Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.
    You can still find vintage ones around if you search- Reverb, eBay, etc. Dunlop makes a replica and there are these.

https://www.playmusic123.com/product...CABEgJ3xvD_BwE

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 478/6
    Given: 56/1
    Me playing slide but on my Champagne LP Custom...
    https://www.facebook.com/Ronnieguita...6171389068505/

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,785/21
    Given: 1,461/0
    The Lowell Lore says that he used an 11/16 spark-plug socket and removed the rubber thingy. I'm thinking that you'd have to have pencil-fingers to be able to use a spark plug socket with the rubber thingy still inside.

Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.
    Lowell mentioned the 11/16 on a live track, I'll have to carefully listen to Waiting For Columbus to find it. As if I need a reason to listen to that excellent album, now I have an excuse. I tried the 11/16 Craftsman myself, without foam insert, and - Lowell must have had skinny fingers. Goes with his little feet. I'm more towards 13/16 or 7/8. I urge anyone who wishes to try, do find a socket that fits your fingers. No point in going to the ER to get the slide off once your solo is done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

File the following under "lifetime supply." Another legend was Duane astonishing a pharmacist when he asked to buy a whole box of Coricidin, I guess 100 count. "What do you need all that for? It's just aspirin, really." Duane came back, "I just need the bottles." I can only guess the pharmacist's thoughts: "Kids these days, they're crazier than ever!"

------------------------------------------------------------

All sorts of preferences in slide material, and they all yield different results. Glass of varying gauges, brass both light and heavy gauge, chromed brass, chromed thin steel tube, pocket knives, beer bottles, whiskey bottle necks, etc. Dunlop offers their ceramic "mud slide" worthy of consideration. In a pinch I bought a couple short lengths of copper pipe from a London scrap dealer. Can't say I've ever seen any other coppers. The soft metal kind of grabs the guitar string, and you can make it scrape and "bark" for an authentic primitive Delta blues tone.

Now what about those neon signs, we've drifted a long ways.

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 77/0
    Given: 0/0
    for my video I linked to Columbus at first, but it was audio only, so I switched the video to one that actually showed George using the Cman socket. the video below shows the socket better, but i don't like the cut as much. What's interesting is that they trade off and Barrere seems to spend more time than George actually playing slide, though George always seems to get the credit.

I'm amazed that he could have had an 11/16 finger. That might have fit me as a kid, but there's no way I could get by with something that small today.

----

If you tried to go into a pharmacy and buy a case of anything today, the pharmacist would probably call the cops and they'd arrest you for something.

----

copper pipe. i'll have to try that. i remember seeing a johnny winter video where he said that he preferred steel pipe because it sounds so nasty compared to glass... well, that and he tried to use kerosene and string to make his own bottleneck slides but he could never get the whiskey bottle to break in the right place... so he just kept trying over and over and over, and the rest is history...

Last edited by bob p; 05-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm amazed that he could have had an 11/16 finger. That might have fit me as a kid, but there's no way I could get by with something that small today.
    You know what they say... little fingers, little feet.

I'm diggin' the amp placement in that video, coupl'a super reverbs on the monitor line. I've suggested this to scads of guitarists. The few that have taken me up on it were mighty pleased, and it sure cut down on the back line racket so we could get a better proportion of vocals in the FOH mix. The first barrier is convincing the guitarists that vocals are important, and the audience isn't so much interested in hearing guitars swamp the vocals for the duration of the show. In this video it looks like the Feat's guitar back line is mostly being used as monitors for the drummer & percussionist. We can probably credit George Massenburg for coaching this band into constant sonic improvements.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 249/3
    Given: 123/3
    To the best of my knowledge....

Standard spark plug sockets come in 5/8" and 13/16"...

Never seen an 11/16" spark plug socket... or for that matter 11/16" spark plugs... 18mm yes, not 11/16".
    First time for everything I guess... or maybe he mis-spoke?

Are there really 11/16" spark plugs?
    18mm is close to 11/16" actually .708661" maybe that's it?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
    To the best of my knowledge....

Standard spark plug sockets come in 5/8" and 13/16"...

Never seen an 11/16" spark plug socket... or for that matter 11/16" spark plugs... 18mm yes, not 11/16".
    First time for everything I guess... or maybe he mis-spoke?

Are there really 11/16" spark plugs?
    18mm is close to 11/16" actually .708661" maybe that's it?
    Put aside the spark plug designation for a moment, "deep sockets" come in all those denominations plus metric too. Any would make a dandy slide. What makes a deep socket different from a spark plug socket would be the foam sleeve inside and perhaps a thinner wall on the plug socket. Bottom line, find one to fit your finger and slide to your hearts content. Hoy hoy!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 249/3
    Given: 123/3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Put aside the spark plug designation for a moment, "deep sockets" come in all those denominations plus metric too. Any would make a dandy slide. What makes a deep socket different from a spark plug socket would be the foam sleeve inside and perhaps a thinner wall on the plug socket. Bottom line, find one to fit your finger and slide to your hearts content. Hoy hoy!
    Yes, knew that, thanks.

I was commenting on the post above where he (Lowell George) said he used a 11/16" spark plug socket
    that maybe had the rubber or foam insert. (small fingers?)

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 374/6
    Given: 377/1
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
    I was commenting on the post above where he (Lowell George) said he used a 11/16" spark plug socket
    that maybe had the rubber or foam insert. (small fingers?)
    Misspoke, I betcha. Prolly better musician than mechanic....

-rb

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thumbs Up/Down
    > Prolly better musician than mechanic....

true. otherwise he would have had to have been a damned fine mechanic.

I'm going to have to look at my plug sockets. I seem to remember having more than 2 SAE sizes. I tried looking last night but there were a bunch of boxes sitting on my rolling chest and until I move them I can't get it open.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 478/6
    Given: 56/1
    I usually use an Ernie Ball chrome & brass slide on my pinky. But also do the DA thing with a larger slide on my ring finger. Also will play slide with my harmonica or a beer bottle. Usually have at least 2 tunings on stage.

Last edited by olddawg; 05-19-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Beer bottle! You're a true working musician.

Thread Information