Those damn neon signs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob p View Post
    I'm amazed that he could have had an 11/16 finger. That might have fit me as a kid, but there's no way I could get by with something that small today.
    You know what they say... little fingers, little feet.

I'm diggin' the amp placement in that video, coupl'a super reverbs on the monitor line. I've suggested this to scads of guitarists. The few that have taken me up on it were mighty pleased, and it sure cut down on the back line racket so we could get a better proportion of vocals in the FOH mix. The first barrier is convincing the guitarists that vocals are important, and the audience isn't so much interested in hearing guitars swamp the vocals for the duration of the show. In this video it looks like the Feat's guitar back line is mostly being used as monitors for the drummer & percussionist. We can probably credit George Massenburg for coaching this band into constant sonic improvements.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge....

Standard spark plug sockets come in 5/8" and 13/16"...

Never seen an 11/16" spark plug socket... or for that matter 11/16" spark plugs... 18mm yes, not 11/16".
      First time for everything I guess... or maybe he mis-spoke?

Are there really 11/16" spark plugs?
      18mm is close to 11/16" actually .708661" maybe that's it?
      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
        To the best of my knowledge....

Standard spark plug sockets come in 5/8" and 13/16"...

Never seen an 11/16" spark plug socket... or for that matter 11/16" spark plugs... 18mm yes, not 11/16".
        First time for everything I guess... or maybe he mis-spoke?

Are there really 11/16" spark plugs?
        18mm is close to 11/16" actually .708661" maybe that's it?
        Put aside the spark plug designation for a moment, "deep sockets" come in all those denominations plus metric too. Any would make a dandy slide. What makes a deep socket different from a spark plug socket would be the foam sleeve inside and perhaps a thinner wall on the plug socket. Bottom line, find one to fit your finger and slide to your hearts content. Hoy hoy!
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Put aside the spark plug designation for a moment, "deep sockets" come in all those denominations plus metric too. Any would make a dandy slide. What makes a deep socket different from a spark plug socket would be the foam sleeve inside and perhaps a thinner wall on the plug socket. Bottom line, find one to fit your finger and slide to your hearts content. Hoy hoy!
          Yes, knew that, thanks.

I was commenting on the post above where he (Lowell George) said he used a 11/16" spark plug socket
          that maybe had the rubber or foam insert. (small fingers?)
          If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
          I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
            I was commenting on the post above where he (Lowell George) said he used a 11/16" spark plug socket
            that maybe had the rubber or foam insert. (small fingers?)
            Misspoke, I betcha. Prolly better musician than mechanic....

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

> Prolly better musician than mechanic....

true. otherwise he would have had to have been a damned fine mechanic.

I'm going to have to look at my plug sockets. I seem to remember having more than 2 SAE sizes. I tried looking last night but there were a bunch of boxes sitting on my rolling chest and until I move them I can't get it open.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I usually use an Ernie Ball chrome & brass slide on my pinky. But also do the DA thing with a larger slide on my ring finger. Also will play slide with my harmonica or a beer bottle. Usually have at least 2 tunings on stage.
                Last edited by olddawg; 05-19-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Beer bottle! You're a true working musician.
                  "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                  X