Those damn neon signs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    I'm seeing the image from post #51 fine.
    But there was another posted recently I could not see here:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46587/#post495440

Weird.
    FWIW, I can't see either image. Hmmmmmm.....
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Oh, Elevator! And all this time I thought it was about 'lovin' an alligator' .
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        ... must resist ...
        Resistance is futile. String your prize with a D'add 11 set, tune open D, slide with Dunlop chromed heavy brass and bob's your uncle. Oops, bob's YOU!
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

In honor of Lowell George, I'll use a Craftsman deep socket.

Last edited by bob p; 05-18-2018, 02:37 AM.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

In honor of Lowell George, I'll use a Craftsman deep socket.
            Right, Lowell name checks the Craftsman product, and they do make perfectly good slides. Just don't go barefoot or wear sandals while using one. If you drop it on your toes you'll have a heck of a bruise. Could upset da riddim Of course use the diameter that fits your finger.

Comment

Leo, the deep spark plug socket has that little rubber insert that keeps it from falling off. Surely thats the ticket.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I use a Craftsman socket that I cut down and lined the inside with masking tape when I was fourteen years old!!! Well, That and a Dunlop glass tube But yeah, the socket thing sort of implies itself. Just cut off the heavy end if you have the tools.

I amended my post above with a typical attachment link. Yes, weird. The original post shows up fine on my screen.?.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I use the Dunlop glass myself, but the Coricidin bottle used to be the thing. Good enough for Duane Allman anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7ba1d05b95d7ea85423b6784f09a0a20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	849567

Comment

It's all in how you use it. I've seen guys KILL IT with a Bic lighter and the mic stand.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      Right, Lowell name checks the Craftsman product, and they do make perfectly good slides. Just don't go barefoot or wear sandals while using one. If you drop it on your toes you'll have a heck of a bruise. Could upset da riddim
                      Not a problem. I can't remember the last time I played slide while dressed like Jimmy Buffett.

The Lowell Lore says that he used an 11/16 spark-plug socket and removed the rubber thingy. I'm thinking that you'd have to have pencil-fingers to be able to use a spark plug socket with the rubber thingy still inside.

Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        It's all in how you use it......
                        Next, you're gonna tell me size doesn't matter.

Comment

......Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.
                          You can still find vintage ones around if you search- Reverb, eBay, etc. Dunlop makes a replica and there are these.

https://www.playmusic123.com/product...CABEgJ3xvD_BwE

Comment

Me playing slide but on my Champagne LP Custom...
                            https://www.facebook.com/Ronnieguita...6171389068505/

Comment

The Lowell Lore says that he used an 11/16 spark-plug socket and removed the rubber thingy. I'm thinking that you'd have to have pencil-fingers to be able to use a spark plug socket with the rubber thingy still inside.

Dude, can you still get a Coricidin in slide bottles? I remember Coricidin bottles in the 70s but I don't think I've seen it in the bottles in decades. I seem to remember somebody is now selling the empty bottles, though.
                              Lowell mentioned the 11/16 on a live track, I'll have to carefully listen to Waiting For Columbus to find it. As if I need a reason to listen to that excellent album, now I have an excuse. I tried the 11/16 Craftsman myself, without foam insert, and - Lowell must have had skinny fingers. Goes with his little feet. I'm more towards 13/16 or 7/8. I urge anyone who wishes to try, do find a socket that fits your fingers. No point in going to the ER to get the slide off once your solo is done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

File the following under "lifetime supply." Another legend was Duane astonishing a pharmacist when he asked to buy a whole box of Coricidin, I guess 100 count. "What do you need all that for? It's just aspirin, really." Duane came back, "I just need the bottles." I can only guess the pharmacist's thoughts: "Kids these days, they're crazier than ever!"

------------------------------------------------------------

All sorts of preferences in slide material, and they all yield different results. Glass of varying gauges, brass both light and heavy gauge, chromed brass, chromed thin steel tube, pocket knives, beer bottles, whiskey bottle necks, etc. Dunlop offers their ceramic "mud slide" worthy of consideration. In a pinch I bought a couple short lengths of copper pipe from a London scrap dealer. Can't say I've ever seen any other coppers. The soft metal kind of grabs the guitar string, and you can make it scrape and "bark" for an authentic primitive Delta blues tone.

Now what about those neon signs, we've drifted a long ways.

Comment

for my video I linked to Columbus at first, but it was audio only, so I switched the video to one that actually showed George using the Cman socket. the video below shows the socket better, but i don't like the cut as much. What's interesting is that they trade off and Barrere seems to spend more time than George actually playing slide, though George always seems to get the credit.

I'm amazed that he could have had an 11/16 finger. That might have fit me as a kid, but there's no way I could get by with something that small today.

----

If you tried to go into a pharmacy and buy a case of anything today, the pharmacist would probably call the cops and they'd arrest you for something.

----

copper pipe. i'll have to try that. i remember seeing a johnny winter video where he said that he preferred steel pipe because it sounds so nasty compared to glass... well, that and he tried to use kerosene and string to make his own bottleneck slides but he could never get the whiskey bottle to break in the right place... so he just kept trying over and over and over, and the rest is history...
                                Last edited by bob p; 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X