JJ EL34 II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ EL34 II

I've just fitted a set of these to a Splawn Nitro KT88>EL34 regression. I know they've been around for a while but I though I'd see how they go. The electrode assembly is quite slim and when I tapped them fresh out of the box they sounded rattly. Damn, I though - these are going have to do back as they'll be microphonic. How wrong I was. They're super-quiet and didn't produce any noise in use when chopsticked. I hope they stay that way - I'm pretty fed up with rattling output tubes.

EL84s in combos are the worst! A few gigs and they rattle. I haven't tried every brand yet but so far I can't recommend any.

Comment

EL84...EL34...not same.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1ampman View Post
        EL84s in combos are the worst! A few gigs and they rattle. I haven't tried every brand yet but so far I can't recommend any.
        Try the NOS Reflektor 6p14p (6n14n?) with the "K" suffix. More rugged construction and selected for low microphonics. That suffix denotes "steady against vibration". There are others with a different suffix that are long life tubes (so maybe they'd hold up?) but they're expensive (and I don't think they sound as good). But the K can be found for typical el84 prices. They sound great too. I use them in my combo with a couple of those silicone rings on each one for added confidence. I've probably played it dimed about twelve hours since install and no problems as yet. You'll probably need to buy a "lot" and match them yourself. I bought a lot of 16 and matched up six pairs really nice, a seventh pair that's good enough and there were two in the batch that acted a little hinky so I tossed them. I can't remember what I paid, but I remember being happy with it.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          EL84...EL34...not same.
          I think he was just chiming in on the subject in general and was aware that he was mentioning a different tube.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

So this would be an Ebay purchase? I appreciate the suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by 1ampman View Post
              So this would be an Ebay purchase? I appreciate the suggestion...
              Yep. *bay. I checked for the longevity of the seller and was careful to see that he had more than fifteen sales Since I had to toss two tubes it's clear that such lot's on *bay are dreg tubes. That is, they didn't mate up at the time they were shelved or something weird demonstrated itself in some test. I was still able to get six good pair and reasonably matched. I don't remember what the seventh pair is about, but I know it did something I'm supposed to look out for And then, as mentioned, two tubes went right in the bin. If our guy here on the forum (Yuriy?) had them, and he might, I'd say go with him. He's probably selling from similar sources, but his prices are always good and he sure seems conscientious.

Comment

Six months ago I retubed one of my amps with a JJ EL34 II quartet and I have no complaints so far. Compared to the regular JJ EL34 they sound maybe a bit brighter.

Comment

Working...
                X