Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimensional tolerances for a back panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensional tolerances for a back panel?

I am going to build a back panel for a Fender Showman amplifier. I am going to build one because the place I was going to order from has a long lead time and is rather expensive. Plus I have scrap hardboard and tolex just lying around my workshop.

How short should I cut the wood panel to allow for tolex and fitting tolerance?

For example if the panel is 20-1/2" by 6-1/2", what size wood panel should I cut?

What is the thickness of the Tolex? So it's the space width + Tolex thickness + a fraction to allow for a gap. You'll want to allow for a small gap between the Tolexed panel and the side wall just to insure against any audible vibration. I use thin shims when I set cabinet panels to evenly space a tiny gap for this reason. You can secure it tightly at the faces, but the edges are a crap shoot if you don't set a space or fit it tightly. A space is easier to do since it can be off a little without much consequence.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
    X