Thread: Dimensional tolerances for a back panel?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/0
    Given: 2/0

Dimensional tolerances for a back panel?

I am going to build a back panel for a Fender Showman amplifier. I am going to build one because the place I was going to order from has a long lead time and is rather expensive. Plus I have scrap hardboard and tolex just lying around my workshop.

How short should I cut the wood panel to allow for tolex and fitting tolerance?

For example if the panel is 20-1/2" by 6-1/2", what size wood panel should I cut?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,427/4
    Given: 2,811/0
    What is the thickness of the Tolex? So it's the space width + Tolex thickness + a fraction to allow for a gap. You'll want to allow for a small gap between the Tolexed panel and the side wall just to insure against any audible vibration. I use thin shims when I set cabinet panels to evenly space a tiny gap for this reason. You can secure it tightly at the faces, but the edges are a crap shoot if you don't set a space or fit it tightly. A space is easier to do since it can be off a little without much consequence.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thread Information