Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with my '66 AC30

Hi everyone

I am posting here, hoping for your help concerning the issue I have with my 1966 Vos AC30.

The problem is as follows
    - sound on "brillant" channel is thin and has a very heavy distorsion (this being true on both inputs), while it is perfectly ok on the 2 other channels
    - when I switch on the amp (no stand by on these old Vox, only one on/off switch), sound comes after about 10s on "normal" and "vibrato" channels while it takes about 1 minute to get some (awful) sound on the brillant channel. There is nothing before that.

Here is a recording to give you an idea of what happens. When the sound is ok I am on the normal channel
    https://soundcloud.com/user-417771443/ac30

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
    I changed all preamp tubes without any result, and power tubes where changed a few years ago.

Many thanks in advance for any help you could provide me with!

Sounds like there may be a fault in the Brilliant circuit supply voltage or signal path or there may be a leaky film cap skewing bias on a triode. You're going to need to open it up and take/interpret measurements in either case.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by zarc View Post
      Hi everyone

I am posting here, hoping for your help concerning the issue I have with my 1966 Vos AC30.

The problem is as follows
      - sound on "brillant" channel is thin and has a very heavy distorsion (this being true on both inputs), while it is perfectly ok on the 2 other channels
      - when I switch on the amp (no stand by on these old Vox, only one on/off switch), sound comes after about 10s on "normal" and "vibrato" channels while it takes about 1 minute to get some (awful) sound on the brillant channel. There is nothing before that.

Here is a recording to give you an idea of what happens. When the sound is ok I am on the normal channel
      https://soundcloud.com/user-417771443/ac30

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
      I changed all preamp tubes without any result, and power tubes where changed a few years ago.

Many thanks in advance for any help you could provide me with!
      Can you post a schematic ?
      If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Sounds like there may be a fault in the Brilliant circuit supply voltage or signal path or there may be a leaky film cap skewing bias on a triode. You're going to need to open it up and take/interpret measurements in either case.
        Thank you Chuck.
        Yes, I guess it does not come from the tubes

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
        Can you post a schematic ?
        It is a mid 60's Top Boost AC30.
        I will try to get you that

Comment

Working...
        X