JCM 2000 DSL401 weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 2000 DSL401 weirdness

Just got one of these in, owner complained of OD channel sounding "dark". First thing I noticed was that the treble control did nothing, bass and mid worked. Probed around and found treble control, VR7, was 10k, not the 200K on the print, and c108 was 560pf instead of 470pf. All else looks up to snuff. Changed those to correct values and the OD channel brightened up and the treble control now does something, but not really a wide sweep like the clean channel. Not having another one to compare it to, I'm wondering if this is by design, or is there something else amiss. Anyone shed some light?
    Attached Files

My experience is that some Marshall tone stacks are pretty subtle. I just had a JCM 2000 DSL100 that I thought was like that, not a lot of change with the tone controls.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      My experience is that some Marshall tone stacks are pretty subtle. I just had a JCM 2000 DSL100 that I thought was like that, not a lot of change with the tone controls.
      Yep, me too. Strange why the clean channel has a broad sweep, lots of change between full CCW and CW, Wonder if that's the cathode follower architecture,.....

Comment

Not too sure if you have the correct schematic.
        The one posted is for the power supply & switching circuit.

DSL 401.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Not too sure if you have the correct schematic.
          The one posted is for the power supply & switching circuit.

[ATTACH]48847[/ATTACH]
          Your right, this should be the one
          Attached Files

Comment

Were the components factory-fitted or had someone 'modded' the circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              Were the components factory-fitted or had someone 'modded' the circuit?
              Looks like someone implemented a repair at some point, 4 of the pots showed signs on being replaced, all print-correct except for the treble control, which was 10k, not the 200k specified. This amp was purchased just a week or two ago at a swap meet, came with no history, just an attractive price tag. Brought to me because the reverb wasn't working (broken transducer lead), and because the drive channel sounded "dark". Treble control had no effect at that point in time.

Comment

Working...
              X