Doghouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doghouse

Does the doghouse on fender amps for the caps serve any purpose other and providing space in the chassis?

Not sure if it was intended, but it sure helps contain the mess when you have a "thar she blows!" event.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

...... and I have had a few of those! Open the doghouse and find electrolyte and blown up cap parts everywhere. Indeed a mess.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The doghouse - I call it a bathtub because it looks like one - also holds the hi voltage caps in a relatively cool area of the amp. Back in the day, that mattered more than it does now. Most caps were rated 65C and you had to derate their expected lifetime the hotter they ran. Heck you can pay nosebleed prices right now for so-called "authentic" Sprague Atoms and they're still rated to be used 65C max. Lots of perfectly good caps available now rated 105C. But it's still a good idea to install them somewhere they won't get roasted.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Also keeps your fingers from becoming .1 ohm resistors between HT and ground! dont ask me how I know

Comment

I always though it was to make better use of the space, given that the topside of the chassis has plenty of room.

Comment

This is a kit amp that is a 5E3 boosted to about 40-50W. No room in the chassis for the caps.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ken_lion VIIcrop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	849581
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
              X