Sidewinder pickup design ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder pickup design ?

Compared to a single pole design like a P-90, & trying to recreate the true tone of a p-90 based on 10k turns p-90 , going with a Sidewinder dual coil hum free design we are kind of fighting with too much treble & at the same time way less output & as an example an 8k p-90 will produce more output than a 9k sidewinder pickup .please discuss your findings ?
    My latest attempt has been to increase the bass ,& i need to increase the magnet strength to help with the output maybe A5/A8 .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Compared to a single pole design like a P-90, & trying to recreate the true tone of a p-90 based on 10k turns p-90 , going with a Sidewinder dual coil hum free design we are kind of fighting with too much treble & at the same time way less output & as an example an 8k p-90 will produce more output than a 9k sidewinder pickup .please discuss your findings ?
    My latest attempt has been to increase the bass ,& i need to increase the magnet strength to help with the output maybe A5/A8 .
    I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your pickup.

Comment

On bass sidewinders, trying to keep them bright.
      They needed thin small blades for brightness, and highs.
      So maybe for guitar, bigger thicker blades.
      To get the output up on the bass pickups, the magnets inside the bobbins were stronger than outside magnets.
      Maybe you can put the magnets inside the bobbins.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Well this design I'm using blade style bobbins & bar magnets on there side butting up against the keeper bar & pole screws through the keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          Well this design I'm using blade style bobbins & bar magnets on there side butting up against the keeper bar & pole screws through the keeper.
          Maybe check to see if the magnets are fully charged and are oriented N-S S-N. I'm picturing the AlNiCo bars are the cores of the two coils, that might yield a lower inductance than you'd expect for 8k-9k pickup with slugs or screws in their core.

Comment

Q-Tuners used pole screws but Erno juiced them up with fairly substantial neodymium bars that don't quite touch the screws.

Comment

I'm using your same design (blade style bobbins & A5 bar magnets on there side against the keeper bar & pole screws through the keeper) with 8,5k turns per bobbin. It doesn't sound the same as a "real" p-90, but I like it, sort of a mix between a P90 and a strat. Fralin uses neodymium bar magnets to get the basses out of them, but they are too dark for my tastes. Maybe experimenting with neodymium bar magnets and different turns per bobbin could get you near the desired results.
              Last edited by Alberto; 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
                I'm using your same design (blade style bobbins & A5 bar magnets on there side against the keeper bar & pole screws through the keeper) with 8,5k turns per bobbin. It doesn't sound the same as a "real" p-90, but I like it, sort of a mix between a P90 and a strat. Fralin uses neodymium bar magnets to get the basses out of them, but they are too dark for my tastes. Maybe experimenting with neodymium bar magnets and different turns per bobbin could get you near the desired results.
                Yes this is what i've done in the past have overwound coils to help darken the tone & also i will try to source some neodymium in bar form to help give the pickup more wotput .
                Also maybe ditching blade bobbins & making shorter/fatter bobbins out of forbon maybe a something to try .

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  On bass sidewinders, trying to keep them bright.
                  They needed thin small blades for brightness, and highs.
                  So maybe for guitar, bigger thicker blades.
                  To get the output up on the bass pickups, the magnets inside the bobbins were stronger than outside magnets.
                  Maybe you can put the magnets inside the bobbins.
                  GL,
                  T
                  I guess if i used the mudbucker design where the steel blade goes through the coils & use a strong magnet on the ends i may help .

Comment

I made these a little while back, and they worked out great for me.

Stainless steel blade, with neo rod magnets. Plenty of output, and still retains lots of highs and bass response is tight.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X