The purpose of classical guitar strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The purpose of classical guitar strings

Acoustic guitars are common and one of the most popular types of guitars. There are three categories of modern acoustic guitars depending on their strings which includes steel string, nylon string (classical guitar) and arch top or jazz guitar.
    Classical guitar strings are made of materials such as nylon, fluorocarbon, and other synthetics, and mostly used for producing classical or flamenco music. Traditionally these guitars were made from gut and silk materials, but modern classical guitars have bass strings with a threaded or solid core which is covered with coils of nylon and various metals. The sound projected from classical guitar strings differs considerably and depends upon the materials and the manufacturing techniques used.
    The three treble strings of a classical guitar are made from a single nylon filament, whereas the remaining three bass strings are made of a core of fine nylon threadlike filaments twisted with silver-plated copper or bronze wire.
    Last edited by tboy; 05-24-2018, 12:39 AM. Reason: Spam link removed. If you really want to see it go here: http://shop.guitarphilia.com/product-category/guitar-strings/

Oh, cīmon, cut the BS, all you want is to sell strings.

FWIW Malwarebytes tells me NOT to click on your link so I wonīt even try.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Oh, cīmon, cut the BS, all you want is to sell strings.

FWIW Malwarebytes tells me NOT to click on your link so I wonīt even try.
      No matter Juan, it's a bot. If you press on the hyperlink you'll probably get an extensive catalog of cheap football jerseys.
      Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I reported this last night... bot or not, still spam.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I found the post slightly informative.

Although it should have been posted in the Marketplace.

Note: Guitarphilia is an actual web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            If you press on the hyperlink you'll probably get an extensive catalog of cheap football jerseys.
            Close.
            You'll get an extensive catalog of "You Can Never Have Too Many Guitars" tee shirts.
            And guitar charm ankle bracelets.

Being a curious cat, I Googled the company name. They appear to be a semi-legitimate company that sells "music accessories". Their website's "Shipping Policies" page warns to expect "2 to 6 weeks or more" delivery time because products are shipped from around the world. In other words, the stuff is probably drop-shipped from eBay or Alibaba. I actually skimmed their product offerings and bought a few things - for about 1/4 the price on eBay.

-rb
            Last edited by rjb; 05-23-2018, 09:02 PM.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              Close. You'll get an extensive catalog of "You Can Never Have Too Many Guitars" tee shirts. And guitar charm ankle bracelets.

Being a curious cat, I Googled the company name. They appear to be a semi-legitimate company that sells "Music accessories". Their website's "Shipping Policies" page warns to expect "2 to 6 weeks or more" delivery time because products are shipped from around the world. In other words, the stuff is probably drop-shipped from eBay or Alibaba. I actually skimmed their product offerings and bought a few things - for about 1/4 the price on eBay.

-rb
              Good luck with that rjb. Chinese guitar strings suck. Whether they're sold in their own packaging, or in counterfeit copies of trusted brands. (There was a rash of dodgy China made crap strings sold in copies of D'Addario packaging a few years ago. They may still be doing that much to the dismay of D'Add and their customers.) For classical/nylon I'll stick with good ol' reliable Savarez brand. I like the set that has a wound G not plain, despite what our new "expert" says. Get 'em from Just Strings in New Hampster, USA.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

Comment

Good luck with that rjb. Chinese guitar strings suck.
                Who said I bought strings? I bought a few silly things, all for a buck or so. A "string scrubber" that wipes the tops and bottoms of all 6 strings in one swipe; a "spider capo" that depresses individual strings; a shot shaker "maraca ring" (Bo Diddly Beat ain't BDB without straight eighths to syncopate against). And (ho hum) a set of neck radius gauges.

I like the set that has a wound G not plain, despite what our new "expert" says.
                I didn't know there was a new resident expert. Does that mean I have to relinquish my self-appointed title "Acoustic Guitar Guru Man"?

-rb
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Who said I bought strings?
                  Looks like strings is what they was sellin', given the spiel.

I didn't know there was a new resident expert. Does that mean I have to relinquish my self-appointed title "Acoustic Guitar Guru Man"?
                  Not at all. The salesman's spiel has some inaccuracies, but so what. That's what salesmen do. When did you ever see strings made of teflon (fluorocarbon). Covered with, maybe. No matter, enjoy your purchases. It'll be like Christmas in June.

Comment

No matter, enjoy your purchases. It'll be like Christmas in June.
                    Just to be clear, I bought directly from Chinese eBay vendors- not through Spamophilia.

For the cheap no-name widgets and doo-dads I've purchased so far (including the same MEMS microphone breakout board sold by Sparkfun and some amplifier modules that cost less than the individual components) I've generally not been disappointed. And yes, it is a bit like Christmas when when those little packages finally arrive, literally via slow boat from China.

-rb
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Just to be clear, I bought directly from Chinese eBay vendors- not through Spamophilia.
                      That is more clear. From post #6 I wasn't sure if you got them from the link for 1/4 of the price they cost on ebay, or if you got them on ebay for 1/4 the price of the linked site prices.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        That is more clear. From post #6 I wasn't sure if you got them from the link for 1/4 of the price they cost on ebay, or if you got them on ebay for 1/4 the price of the linked site prices.
                        I see what you mean. That last sentence is pretty ambiguous. But gimme a break. I never learned grammar in grammar school. Had to pick it up on the street. In New Jersey.

-rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

But gimme a break. I never learned grammar in grammar school. Had to pick it up on the street. In New Jersey.

-rb
                          Yeah, I kind of got that idea from your profile location.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                          X