1953 Gibson Grille Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Gibson Grille Cloth

I've got a 1953 Gibson GA-30 in the shop, and the grille fabric is in pretty bad shape. It actually has two layers of fabric, but it's hard to tell if it came that way from the factory or if someone put in a second layer at a later date. The possible later/second layer is in tatters. The layer underneath it looks exactly like what you see in photos online of other GA-30s: a fabric with gold metallic threads in a diamond pattern.

I know it's impossible to find an exact match for the original, but has anyone found something close?

I have used this guy before: Richmond Designs Inc - Antique Grille Cloth Product Showcase

He has cloth that at least has the look.

Comment

I looked at some *oogle images and tried to get creative with the search criteria hoping to find something not so easily found. The best I saw was the tan VOX-y stuff that Jazz's vendor is selling. But I posted to say that, no matter what, resist any temptation to use the standard maroon VOX type cloth just because it's amp cloth and it's diamonds. I saw plenty of images of old Gibsons redone with the stuff and (IMHO) it doesn't look good. I think the right color is more important overall.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes, one might have better luck taking a sample to a fabric or upholstery show and looking through samples.

Comment

Note Antique/CE offers a selection of grill cloth intended for restoration of old radios. Check their online catalog, maybe you'll find something that will work for you. tubesandmore.com They're not cheap otoh you don't need a lot of it.

Vox diamond grill is claimed by Vox to be a "service mark" of the company. But I don't think anybody's gone to prison for using their exclusive design. If that was the case Mr. Dumble would be in deep doo doo.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
          X