No announcement yet.

5g9 Tremolux, Need Bias mod Advice to bias each 6V6GT Separately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I you have such a wide spread in your spare tubes, then it's quite likely that the transconductance has a large variation too, probably due to wear. So, you can fix the the bias but they are still unbalanced because of the gain difference. This is a guitar amp so I suggest you chose a pair that are not so far apart and just enjoy the result.

I promise the world will not come to an end.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I have tested all the tubes I have on a Mighty Might and yes, it does not test for transconductance by giving values and is not providing much in the way of deeper tube health information but they all test well in that device. I also understand you can have perfectly fine NOS tubes that are very different in bias reading. I am shooting for 3ma-8ma range for a tube set as I've read it gives great results for guitar amplifier sound. And, I don't have enough of each tube type by the same manufacturer, materials and construction, to match them up as close enough. I do hear a difference in tubes of different types, enough so that I'd like to use two of the same tube.

Comment

Schematic found online for an adjustable bias pot mod for the 5G9 tweed Tremolux:

Bias Mod | Telecaster Guitar Forum

Comment

Making it adjustable is simple, as we have already discussed. The problem is when you want to make each tube adjustable on its own.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think that grossly mismatched tubes is bad news with a bias vary trem; you're going to get thumping/subsonics. Having said that, if you really want to do this, you could break the cathode to ground connection of the hotter tube of the pair and stick a low voltage zener diode between the cathode and ground. You'll have to experiment with the voltage of the diode till you get the bias of the hotter tube equal to the colder tube. Remember, zeners are used backward compared to regular diodes, so in this case you'll connect the cathode of the output tube to the cathode of the zener and the anode of the zener to ground. Once you have the current matched, you can then use the regular bias adjustment tricks to get the actual current you want. (adjusting the negative bias voltage.)

Comment

What Bloomfield and nickb said
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                What Bloomfield and nickb said
                Second that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X