Princeton Reverb Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton Reverb Mod

If I were to strip out the reverb from a blackface Princeton circuit (AA1164) at the points indicated, should I remove the 3.3M mixing resistor? Or would that increase the gain going to the third stage too much? Could I replace the mixing resistor with a lower value or even a pot to provide a gain control?

Click image for larger version

Name:	princeton_mix_resistor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	873653

Originally posted by Fletcher Munson View Post
    If I were to strip out the reverb from a blackface Princeton circuit (AA1164) at the points indicated, should I remove the 3.3M mixing resistor? Or would that increase the gain going to the third stage too much? Could I replace the mixing resistor with a lower value or even a pot to provide a gain control?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49017[/ATTACH]
    If you....
    Last edited by ric; 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM. Reason: deleted/ leaving it to the pros

Comment

Let me try to re-phrase my question: If I were to strip out the reverb from this circuit, what would I need to do to retain the original tone and gain structure?

As I understand it, the Reverb pot serves as the grid reference to ground for the third gain stage. So I'd have to replace that with a grid leak resistor of some value (1M?).

But what about the 3.3M mixing resistor (plus 10pf cap)? Strip it out or leave it in?

Name:	princeton_mod_1.jpg
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	849689

Comment

These amps are easy enough to work on.

Do the work, answer your questions.

Comment

If I were to strip out the reverb from this circuit, what would I need to do to retain the original tone and gain structure?
          Easiest way: unplug wires to the reverb tank.

DONE!

If you feel you must do more, remove the reverb drive tube too. A shorting RCA plug to the reverb return jack wouldn't be a bad idea. Finally don't turn up the reverb knob, or move the wire on its wiper to the ground tab so you don't accidentally dial up some hum/buzz/noise. Then you can't argue the fact that you have the exact same circuit, only the reverb is missing.

Should you wish to restore reverb in the future, it won't be any brain strain at all, just a couple minutes work.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Of course, Leo has the right answer. Kudos!

I just happened to be looking over this schematic today, comparing it to a current project. So I did the maths on that 3.3M resistor. With the trem pot all down, there's a 470k resistor that forms the voltage divider with the 3.3M. About 18dB of attenuation with the 3.3M/470k string. Replacing the 470k with the 1M? resistor in your drawing gains you about 6dB into the next stage. Whether you want that or not is between you and your ears. Or, between your ears.
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

If you replaced the 3M3/10pf reverb splitter in the Princeton Reverb with a jumper you would be on your way towards building one of Ken Fischer's pre-Trainwreck prototypes according to some reports. Back in 2001 I drew up the following "fake" schematic to illustrate the similarities between the PR and Trainwreck preamps if you replace the reverb splitter with a jumper.

Attached PDF file:
              wrek_pr.pdf

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-02-08-11-24_20180602081416707.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	849705
              Steve A.

P.S. And yes it would have gobs of gain, to use the technical term...

Here is the Princeton Reverb AA1164 schematic ...

.Click image for larger version

Name:	princeton_reverb_aa1164_schem.gif
Views:	3
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	849706
              Last edited by Steve A.; 06-02-2018, 03:49 PM.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

All that^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or you could just turn the reverb down and leave it there
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  If you replaced the 3M3/10pf reverb splitter in the Princeton Reverb with a jumper you would be on your way towards building one of Ken Fischer's pre-Trainwreck prototypes according to some reports. Back in 2001 I drew up the following "fake" schematic to illustrate the similarities between the PR and Trainwreck preamps if you replace the reverb splitter with a jumper.
                  Yep, that ought slap the third triode plenty hard. A nice variation would be a 12AY7 in the first tube socket. May have to give this one a go!
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                    Of course, Leo has the right answer. Kudos!

I just happened to be looking over this schematic today, comparing it to a current project. So I did the maths on that 3.3M resistor. With the trem pot all down, there's a 470k resistor that forms the voltage divider with the 3.3M. About 18dB of attenuation with the 3.3M/470k string. Replacing the 470k with the 1M? resistor in your drawing gains you about 6dB into the next stage. Whether you want that or not is between you and your ears. Or, between your ears.
                    What I think my ears want to hear is a pot that sweeps between "vintage Princeton Reverb" and "gobs of gain." Perhaps a simple volume/gain control before the third gain stage?

Name:	princeton_mod_3.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	849712

Starting with 160V for the voltage source, I get 19.9V output voltage from the 3.3M/470k voltage divider. Using a 3MA pot and a 430k fixed resistor, I get 20.0V output voltage. So that should be pretty close to "vintage." When you sweep the pot the other way, you should get "gobs of gain." Probably too much.

A huge thank you leo_g, eschertron, and steve a. Much appreciated.

Comment

If you don't happen to have a 3M pot, use a 1M and divide the 470k by three-ish to get a similar effect. Or keep some fraction of the 3.3M on top of the pot, paralleled with a cap, so the fixed 'brightness' isn't totally lost. The sky's the limit
                      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        Yep, that ought slap the third triode plenty hard. A nice variation would be a 12AY7 in the first tube socket. May have to give this one a go!
                        I need to do a more thorough comparison of the two circuits to see how Ken Fischer kept the volume down to a reasonable level in adapting the basic PR architecture.
                        BTW I seem to remember that the current owner of that pre-Trainwreck prototype who lived in Hawaii made a few posts at AMPAGE about the amp.

Steve A.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:

Comment

Hmmm.... perhaps you should check out the schematic for the non-reverb 1964 Princeton amp.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s...a964_schem.gif

Here is a cropped and scaled down version of the full schematic for in-line display here:

Here is the full schematic as an attachment (it does not seem to work. Download file from link above.)

Steve A.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Steve A.; 06-03-2018, 05:36 AM.
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:

Comment

Here you go

The green traces in the graph represents a stock PR second gain stage at the bottom trace (including the effect of the 10p cap) and a Trainwreck at the top. I used these as marker goals. The purple traces represent the circuit shown with the bottom being the 1M pot at full rotation one way and the top trace at full rotation the other.

An interesting thing happens by simply adding series resistance. You can change the frequency knee of the coupling cap due to circuit impedance. This actually allowed for closer approximation of both adjustments with less than .2dB loss at 82Hz in PR mode and a 16dB cut in TW mode much like the TW circuit.

On the same lines there are obviously other differences between your amp and a TW design. Like your third stage not being cold biased and un bypassed, the PI being a cathodyne rather than a LTP and the tone stack being very different. Not to mention plate voltages. But here you go anyway. This circuit has the advantage (?) of using a much more readily available 1M pot as well as representing the low TW AC loading in the higher gain mode while correcting to a higher AC load in PR mode.

Submitted for your consideration.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Chuck H; 06-03-2018, 05:33 PM. Reason: improved circuit
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Really impressive Chuck. Thanks for doing this! Are you using LTSpice or... ? I was just trying to digest your earlier version when I refreshed the screen and saw that you'd refined the circuit. The new version is nearly perfect in PR mode, and should be controllable (and pretty damn interesting) in TW mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X