Gibson FalconTube Amp Has No Reverb - Please HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson FalconTube Amp Has No Reverb - Please HELP

Hi. I have a Gibson Falcon tube guitar amp, Model GA 19 RVT. It has no reverb at all. When I turn up the Reverb pot, I get increased volume, but no reverb effect. I've checked all tubes, and they test good. I've taken voltage readings, and all seems normal. I also removed the reverb tank and cleaned it's plugs and jacks. The tremolo effects does work fine. But not the reverb. What else should I check? Thanks
    Attached Files

Measure the resistance of your reverb tank's input & output. IIRC each should be about 200 ohms. Unlike Fenders, these Gibsons use a hi impedance input tank. If you read open circuit, examine the inside of the tank. You may find a broken lead-in wire and be able to mend it. Sometimes the transducer goes bad then replace the whole tank.

Sometimes the transformer that drives the tank goes bad too. But if you don't hear any typical reverb ka-splash when you tap the tank hard with the reverb knob turned up, then the major suspect is the output transducer or wiring to it.

One thing that's kinda weird about these old Gibsons and their Epiphone mates, the reverb level is independent of the volume control. Yes that seems goofy but it's the way they're made. What. were. they. thinking?
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

One more thing that can go bad in the tanks is for all the cores to break off and the springs sitting in there connected to nothing. In this case both ends of the tank will measure proper resistance. So if there is a cover on the bottom, always worth taking a peek in there to see that the springs are still connected at the transducers.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I took your guys advise and opened up the reverb tank. As I was trying to get an ohm ready, one end was intermittent. Plugged it back up, turned it on and wiggled the little transformer looking thingy, I got reverb. I tried replacing the two wires, but it never worked after that. Then I remembered I had a spare reverb tank. It’s an Accutronics. I opened it up and it looked exactly like the old Gibson tank. Plugged up the Accutronics tank and it works perfect. And sounds great. I couldn’t believe my good luck on that one. I’ve had that spare tank laying around for at least 10 years. Hahaha. Thank you all for your help. You are greatly appreciated!!!
        Coop
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CoopDaKill View Post
          I’ve had that spare tank laying around for at least 10 years.
          It was waiting for its chance at glory.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Those old tanks are worth saving for parts, or at leisure rewind the transducer and keep the tank as a spare.

Comment

Working...
            X