Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    AFAIK Joe Walsh was credited with the remark: "Sounded GREAT!!! Just before it blew up..."
    Thanks for posting & welcome aboard.
    Yep.. that and people “brown sounding” amps with a variac, etc. Mt first “real” amp in HS in the early 70s was a Silver face MV Twin Reverb with Utahs. That thing was ice picky shrill and louder than a Lear Jet. I was determined to get Marshallish out of it. It always sounded the best just before the speakers blew and the police came. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      FWIW there was a band around here maybe 30 or so years ago, named Bent Cirkus. Or maybe it was Sirkus... whatever. I guess they were ahead of their time. Never did get to see 'em. Another useless obscure fact from your pal LG.
      With songs like that, do you think you missed anything?
      https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bent_Sirkis/126094
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Here, this should help clarify what circuit bending is all about. You old farts should like this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdy3HOs0dGQ&t=608s (says the 45 year old)
        This guy does some circuit bending but in this video he shows off another "artists" creation.
        Give it a chance! He's batshit crazy but it's just entertainment.

Comment

Yeah but the 75 year old can't remember what he was trying to figure out three years ago. Or three minutes ago for that matter.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well the "meow" sample/effect that is the basis for much of the envelopes seems very well suited to the pop sound. Better than I would have thought. But that's the best I can say about it. Otherwise, not my bag and a little disinterested. Get a guitar amp to meow and we'll talk.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Cool cats make it meow. I ain't lion. I'll see if I can find some lynx.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Cool cats make it meow. I ain't lion. I'll see if I can find some lynx.
                Purrfect. Like I said, not really my bag but I was feline it.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Ocelot to think about.

Comment

Comment

Far out...

Comment

There was a guy in Manchester in the late 70s/early 80s who made really unusual pedals that were used by the up-and-coming musicians in the area. I had some to repair about 7 years ago and they were made from cut up boards of different pedals with additional bits of stripboard circuitry and these were really roughly built, but the sounds were exceptionally good. Many of the mods and connections were challenging to understand and seemed to be quite random without any reasoning. An interesting build was an MXR delay with a lot of component changes to make the sounds more extreme and housed in a DIY rocker pedal enclosure. The pedal moved in two axes, so it rocked backwards and forwards like a wah, but also rocked from left to right in a joystick action. The L-R affected the delay regen and front-to-back the delay time. All really rough, but musically excellent (if you could get used to the action). I considered these to be an early form of circuit bending.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                          this guy, Sam Battle in the UK, is actually very talented and incredibly hard working and productive. He's planning to open a museum filled with old synths and his inventions (The Furby organ is not in his top 10 or 20 in my estimation!)

Here he is with the 1000 oscillator synth he built during lockdown, each panel taking about 3h of soldering:

his breakdown of synth function is one of the best I've heard! And he does excellent music too! He's indefatigable, working 14h a day 7/365

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sam Battle 01.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	959778

Comment

I thought of a lot of things I could do during lockdown. I just looked. Building a 1,000 oscillator synth wasn't on the list. .
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              I thought of a lot of things I could do during lockdown. I just looked. Building a 1,000 oscillator synth wasn't on the list. .
                              Funds and time baby! This guy has both, apparently? But hell yes and cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X