Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't like you anymore

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 245/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    I don't think we should ever pester tboy for anything!!! About three or four into the original incarnation of this forum he found himself wishing to reorganize his priorities and tried find someone else to be the new site janitor. No one stepped up. They probably wouldn't now either. He just turned, shoulders slumped and altruistically scooched his feet back to his desk to keep right on maintaining the site for the next twenty years!!! My point is just that I'm eminently grateful that the site is still here at all. Someday tboy will NEED to reorganize his priorities and the site could well vanish. That will be sad for many of us that have made this place a regular stop in our daily lives for better than two decades, but nothing lasts forever. Anyway, anything tboy is willing to give is enough for me for as long he's willing. If the "like" button is something he chooses not to address right now, or ever, so be it. And three cheers for tboy!

Now... When the inevitable DOES happen and we find ourselves wondering why site maintenance is running so long, only to eventually discover that the site's not coming back, we should have a plan. Of course some of us are members of other forums and we would find members here and there, but it won't be THIS site and the group would only ever be partly reassembled. So here's an idea When that which is too horrifying to mention again actually happens we all converge on another site. One chosen site, and basically just take over. Obviously we couldn't run the other members out (right away or all at the same time ) but we could certainly dominate and claim it for ourselves. I'm certain of it.

But we would need to choose a site. Once we find ourselves as refugees the opportunity is gone.
    I've always thought of ss-guitar.com as a site to go to when this one is down. Lot of the same members there.
    What all is involved in this site maitenance?

nosaj

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 306/0
    Given: 244/0
    Now... When the inevitable DOES happen and we find ourselves wondering why site maintenance is running so long, only to eventually discover that the site's not coming back, we should have a plan.
    Now there's an uncomfortable thought... is there some way to assure there's a copy of all this wonderful stuff is on say Wayback Machine? And/or one or more of our members has it in multi terabit memory? A "mirror" site? Some cooperation with, or advice at least from an existing site may be in order. For instance The Amp Garage. They were in deep doodoo a couple years ago, a new guy "pompeiisneaks" showed up, fixed the problems and now runs the site & moderates too. I'd have to say he has experience in successfully resurrecting a website, also installing new software without losing their archives. We should ask him. Granted, it's a less complex website over there. But they are another wonderful internet asset that roughly parallels what we have here.

I also don't want to pester tboy, but we have a lot at stake here. Someone who has rank as a super moderator should broach the subject with him first, as he is the big daddy-o. I'm sure we can work something out.

Something is happening and you don't know what it is, do you Mister Jones?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 354/5
    Given: 356/5
    Yes.
    This site is a HUGE resource for tons of people, WAY more than the official list of members.
    Ever notice that often a given thread post is being read (actual time) by 1 or 2 Forum members ... and 4/6/8/10 guests?
    And since those are not identified, 10 guests may actually mean more: say out of 10 guests 3 left and 3 new arrived ... we wouldnīt notice.

Donīt know how these things work, but if it were practical to build a mirror or backupsite, where you canīt necessarily post but at least is searchable and keeps old posts, schematics, etc. , that would give a lot of peace of mind.

I think that "store and read only" would hugely ease resources needed (maybe Iīm wrong, not my area) and can be held alive somewhere else for peanuts.
    Even if that backup is updated only once a week, itīs better than nothing.

Ok, can somebody who is computer savvy confirm whether this is is a bunch of bollocks or holds some sense?

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 116/0
    Given: 77/0
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    I agree on the two issues.
    The rate a thread, is the stars button at the top of the thread.
    I just gave this one a five star rating.
    The other issue will probably get resolved, hook or crook. lol
    T
    **The unique thing about the like button?
    You could give assurance to a post, without having to post, when you had nothing to add.
    If you look at the bottom of any page the forum software copyright notice now says 2018 which I believe is new. I *think* that tboy installed the current update which deactivated some of his previous tweaks like the LIKE button which will hopefully return.

Steve A.

P.S. Now if we just had an Unlike button to vote certain people off the island...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Yes.
    This site is a HUGE resource for tons of people, WAY more than the official list of members.
    Ever notice that often a given thread post is being read (actual time) by 1 or 2 Forum members ... and 4/6/8/10 guests?
    And since those are not identified, 10 guests may actually mean more: say out of 10 guests 3 left and 3 new arrived ... we wouldnīt notice.

Donīt know how these things work, but if it were practical to build a mirror or backupsite, where you canīt necessarily post but at least is searchable and keeps old posts, schematics, etc. , that would give a lot of peace of mind.

I think that "store and read only" would hugely ease resources needed (maybe Iīm wrong, not my area) and can be held alive somewhere else for peanuts.
    Even if that backup is updated only once a week, itīs better than nothing.

Ok, can somebody who is computer savvy confirm whether this is is a bunch of bollocks or holds some sense?
    It makes sense. But I believe a lot of it comes down to right now what does it cost to run this site for one month, What does this site bring in in one month(not including donations) , What does site average in monthly donations?

Depending on the platform It may be run in a virtual machine (windows), which if so would easily be able to be backed up and restored. If it's running a linux platform well I dunno.

Bottom line is probably money.
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/0
    Given: 450/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Bottom line is probably money.
    Well the site isn't chopped liver. The opportunity to mirror it comes with ad sale opportunities. That is, you sell the right to mirror the site so it may actually improve the sites monthly revenues. I guess that could depend on how much traffic the mirror site steals from the original too though and I honestly don't know how it works.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well the site isn't chopped liver. The opportunity to mirror it comes with ad sale opportunities. That is, you sell the right to mirror the site so it may actually improve the sites monthly revenues. I guess that could depend on how much traffic the mirror site steals from the original too though and I honestly don't know how it works.
    What does that mean it tastes nasty? (my only experience with it) oddly enough venison backstrap cooked in butter in a saucepan tastes similar to cow liver to me but I like it just not liver.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 549/1
    Given: 0/0
    Takes all kinds, liver is my favorite part of the animals. It just needs to have tons of onions along with. Rabbit liver being my fave.

Also do enjoys chopped liver, the actual dish.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thatīs why I suggested to mini minimize to the minimum (redundance on purpose of course) to make the most basic backup happen.
    A few points, a couple of them uncomfortable ... but which must be addressed at least *once*:

1) Tons of tons of THANKS!!!!!! for T Boy for having created this wonderful site to begin with, and for keeping it live, even improved along time, such as the newest upgrade.

2) that said, nobody is getting any younger, and the ship might one day "find itself without the Captain" ....

3) afaik none of us is exactly a Teen either, so most of us would be a poor Captain substitute.

4) thatīs why the functional maintenance of the Site is not guaranteed at all, beyond some reasonable date.

5) thatīs why I suggested, and as a "minimum of the minimum", some kind of automated backup, at some site which would be hired and paid for (forget the d*mn Ads, Publicity, etc.) by us, period.
    As I imagine it, a "frozen" site, no new threads, no new Members, no new answers, just a searchable bunch of ... HTML????? ....
    So no Administrator, no software updates, nothing, just a searchable bunch of bytes.

It would only require paying, by donations and, say, 1 year in advance blocks, for raw storage space and I imagine some bandwidth cost.

Absolutely no clue, but if such an automatic backup can be had for, say, $60 a year (I repeat I heve absolutely no clue abot space or costs) then itīs realistic.

If that costs , say, $200 a Month, I already know that such amount will never ever be raised.

Ok, thatīs just a first proposal written on the back of a napkin .... any suggestions?

It would not *replace* this Forum at all, we would not even be aware of its existance, backup would be automatic, maybe once a Month, maybe once a Week, only reminder might be a small note at the bottom of current pages: "if this site is down for more than a week, you can search its frozen image at www.xxx.yyy.com or similar.

And when itīs over, it will turn into the Net version of my dog eared copies of Popular Electronics, Guitar Player and so many others.

FWIW there are sites where scanned copies of them live forever , free to search and download, so ...... why not this?
    I have not the least clue as to Forum size

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    You're killin' me with the rabbit liver thing Enzo ($#!t t t). I've been dying to try them since you first it some time back on the food thread. But where the hell would "I" get them? Plenty of bun buns here on Whidbey, but hunting them would be frowned upon. Not to mention that it would take several to get a decent serving of livers. I swear I'm going on a search now for the nearest rabbit farm and I'm going to call them. Thanks for adding another side track to my life. Now I must have rabbit liver I hope it's worth it.

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Some sort of on line archive that can be easily (cheaply) managed would be a great thing indeed. Yes, squeezed down to text with perhaps only some vague graphic representation of it's provenance. A resource from the beginning of one of the first and best forums of it's kind, ever. Over twenty years!!! The current archives go back to 1997, but it's pretty busted up that far back. I think some stuff has been lost with format changes and the notorious data crash and burn from some years ago. But yes, file only backup.

AND we all descend on another site en mass and effectively dominate the existing membership and take control

Thumbs Up/Down
    You're killin' me with the rabbit liver thing Enzo ($#!t t t). I've been dying to try them since you first it some time back on the food thread. But where the hell would "I" get them? Plenty of bun buns here on Whidbey, but hunting them would be frowned upon. Not to mention that it would take several to get a decent serving of livers. I swear I'm going on a search now for the nearest rabbit farm and I'm going to call them. Thanks for adding another side track to my life. Now I must have rabbit liver I hope it's worth it.
    Well don't ask Elmer Fudd you know he's never gotten one.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    COntact someone who raises rabbits. I think your surplus bunnies escaped from a 4H fair, so county fairs and similar usually have rabbit breeders. We had 250 of them at one point.

http://rabbitbreeders.us/washington-rabbit-breeders

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well there was ONE time...

https://vimeo.com/115773980

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 330/1
    Given: 652/0
    AND we all descend on another site en mass and effectively dominate the existing membership and take control
    Ok, that's twice now, you must have some place in particular in mind?

If it is indeed a money issue (I'm sure that's at least part of it), I'd think it would be a lot easier to do regular fundraising drives (ala pbs) rather than a total reboot elsewhere or whatever alternate solution.
    If there is indeed even a problem. Right now we just have a little bump (loss of like feature) which is pretty much a non-issue in the bigger scheme.

The voices in my head are idiots!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post

If it is indeed a money issue (I'm sure that's at least part of it), I'd think it would be a lot easier to do regular fundraising drives (ala pbs) rather than a total reboot elsewhere or whatever alternate solution.
    If there is indeed even a problem. Right now we just have a little bump (loss of like feature) which is pretty much a non-issue in the bigger scheme.
    Sorry, I think you donīt get it, so Iīll have to s-p-e-l-l it for you (and maybe others).

The *potential* is not that MEF is in Financial trouble but that a d-e-a-t-h might/*will* kill the Forum for good.
    There, I said it.

Doubly so because itīs run by one person only and to boot housed in his own computer, at home (at least thatīs what I understood.

Now what *could* go wrong?

But since there is no apparent heir to this, nobody is comitting to keep it running "if" ..... , then Iīm starting to think about getting a fire extinguisher ... not that I want to burn the house.

And to make it possible, I am suggesting the minimum of the minimum as a backup, so this does not fully disappear one day with no trace.
    Adding that besides "text" , schematics and possibly pictures should be held too.

I have no clue on how itīs done, am outside USA so donīt think Iīm in the best position to shop around and find server storage space or whatever is needed.

FWIW just 1 or 2 years ago that happened at a similar Australian site , ozvalveamps, run by Roly Roper, who was a member at SS Guitar, not sure about here.

This is the site itself, which is still online and can be freely browsed, although understandably there is little new activity.
    In any case it is THE site for Australian Guitar amps, and a treasure trove of information.
    http://ozvalveamps.org/

The Site creator was Roly Roper:
    http://ozvalveamps.org/oldnewlisting.htm#RIP

Since he knew what was going to happen, he asked for help and left everything in the hands of a volunteer .
    A killer guy ... but 65 y.o. when he took charge.

Back to our problem (prevention of), every now and then when searching schematics or pictures I get into sites abandoned for years, with no activity, no visible maintenance, not even sure somebody is even paying for server space ... yet they are still around, indexed by google robots, found and browseable ... how come?

So there must be a practical and *relatively* simple way to do something similar.

Canīt we do something without bothering T Boy?

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Canīt we do something without bothering T Boy?
    I'm sure. But why not involve him? He's certainly a smart guy, I'm sure he'll see the wisdom in this mission. Heck he might pop in any second with some input on the matter.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 132/1
    Given: 269/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    And what about rating threads? I'm guessing that was a joke.
    No joke. Check the top right corner of any thread, you'll see a button. "Rate This Thread" in the grey banner at the top.
    Apparently we can also be the "first to like this post on Facebook," but I want my FB world and my MEF world to remain separate.

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 7/0
    Servers do not run long with out intervention ,
    Domain name registration has to be kept up each year and of course
    internet bandwidth can be costly, I am not sure what runs this site but
    it must be more then a simple computer on dsl.

Edit: so it seems now its possible to get a domain name for up to 10 years...
    news to me.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    I want my FB world and my MEF world to remain separate.
    Agreed. I avoid Farcebook as much as possible. A bottomless pit of time wasting. I have plenty more productive ways to waste time.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Well, no. But I do know AX84 and ampgarage are (questionably ) on par, so let's leave them to do their good thing. Apparently SS guitar gets some love too. So I nominate thegearpage!!! They could certainly use a tech bump and all the members would be better for it (or run away with a strange combination of fear and boredom). But really, I didn't have any site in mind when I proposed this. Using the process of elimination I vote thegearpage.

Hands?

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 63/1
    So I nominate thegearpage!!!
    Well, it does have this advantage:

The Pub

NO posts about politics or religion allowed!

My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts.
    - Dudley Do-Right

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by rjb View Post
    NO posts about politics or religion allowed![/INDENT]
    Well that would certainly trim the humor opportunities. But that's the extent of it for me. Around here I've noticed that religious or political threads can make enemies of comrades that were previously amicable. So there's THAT. But for the most part we weather it well keep and things in perspective. Besides, as a new, influential and large membership contingent we might be able to bend some "rules" until they are reformed. We could even start referring to it as "the" music electronics forum and eventually "music electronics forum" would become it's common moniker

No one seems on board with this idea, but it wouldn't exactly be a hostile take over or a Hun invasion. More like the good friend that needed to crash on your couch for a week, but then hung around until he got the spare room and then never left. Oh, and then started sleeping with your wife

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 132/1
    Given: 269/6
    Hey everybody,

Look underneath your avatars and location; what's this new Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down feature, and how do we use it?
    And, dang... what happened to Enzo's 25,000+ "likes"?

Jusrin

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Simple, no one likes me anymore.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 63/1
    ...AX84 and ampgarage are (questionably ) on par, so let's leave them to do their good thing. Apparently SS guitar gets some love too. So I nominate thegearpage!!!
    diyAudio might be a better match.

My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts.
    - Dudley Do-Right

Thumbs Up/Down
    DIYAudio is a much larger forum than this one. 400,000 members, 25,000 of which are active. But guitar amps and related are just a small part of it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/1
    Given: 36/1
    I like you Enzo.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 95/0
    Given: 43/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Hey everybody,
    Look underneath your avatars and location; what's this new Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down feature...
    Now we start with a clean slate. We have the equivalent of "I like this" and "I don't like this" and the input is anonymous. I'm not sure if this is better or worse. The changes remind me of the stuff Microsoft & Costco does. BTW, I know it's the V-Bulletin SW application that changed not something tboy did.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/1
    Given: 36/1
    Not anonymous, I can see who gave me likes. Don't know if I can see who gave me dislikes. Someone dislike me so I can find out!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well someone did and now it's gone so what was the result?
    And just when I was going to congratulate you on being the first guy ever to get a thumbs down on the forum.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Phillips View Post
    Now we start with a clean slate. We have the equivalent of "I like this" and "I don't like this" and the input is anonymous. I'm not sure if this is better or worse. The changes remind me of the stuff Microsoft & Costco does. BTW, I know it's the V-Bulletin SW application that changed not something tboy did.
    It's going to be interesting having the equivalent of a 'dislike' button.
    As far as the V-bulletin app., I'm a bit surprised they put the downvote on the left as most people reach for the left side first I would think.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/0
    Given: 41/3
    Quote Originally Posted by glebert View Post
    Not anonymous, I can see who gave me likes.
    It does have the option to make who gave thumbs up/down anonymous, but I didn't turn it on. I guess we could all vote on how it should be.

Don't know if I can see who gave me dislikes. Someone dislike me so I can find out!
    I pressed your thumbs -down button and could see that it was me, but it reduced your total score on the right to -1. Over on the left under your name the up/down counts remained correct. So then I pressed your thumbs-up button and it brought your score up to 0, removed my username, and removed the thumbs-down ding under your name, Looks like a bug hunt might be in order. Rats!

-tb

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 95/0
    Given: 43/0
    Not anonymous, I can see who gave me likes. Don't know if I can see who gave me dislikes...
    I stand corrected.
    Any member can see who gave both Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down by hovering the cursor over the number just left of the down thumb.

Edit: I would not want the votes to be anonymous. A "thumber" should have the guts to identify the thumb.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 44/0
    Given: 41/3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Phillips View Post
    I stand corrected.
    Any member can see who gave both Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down by hovering the cursor over the number just left of the down thumb.

Edit: I would not want the votes to be anonymous. A "thumber" should have the guts to identify the thumb.
    I forgot to mention it also has the option to use only the thumbs-up part without the thumbs-down.

-tb

Thread Information