Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod 102

https://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod-102-guitar-amp-kit
    I bought one of these kits for myself recently. I missed having an amp this size, and this looked like the best value for a complete kit. It comes with decent transformers, a nice chassis, and very easy to follow instructions. It's a solid little amp that would a good choice for any beginner. Follow the link for a schematic.

I think I must have forgotten how loud a five watt can be. It seems to have good characteristics when cranked, but it's too much. I ordered a bunch of resistors, and I've been playing around with L-Pads with the ambition to find a sweet spot of attenuation for this little amp. I used to have a Valve Jr. that sounded incredible through a L-Pad.

This is a simple resistive attenuator that works a treat. I didn't have much luck with commercial L-pads.
    Attached Files
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      This is a simple resistive attenuator that works a treat. I didn't have much luck with commercial L-pads.
      Thanks Chuck. Me either. I've had better luck with fixed value simple l-pads, but I might give that one a try.

Comment

I've had really good luck with the $12 100w L-pad from Parts Express. I put one in an 18 watt build recently. Works fine. I also would probably never buy a 5 watt amp kit when you can buy a well functioning VJ off of Craigs List for around $80.
        Last edited by olddawg; 06-12-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          I've had really good luck with the $12 100w L-pad from Parts Express. I put one in an 18 watt build recently. Works fine. I also would probably never buy a 5 watt amp kit when you can buy well a functioning VJ off of Craigs List for around $80.
          Yeah, I could've bought another VJ, but this has nice components, and it's point to point.

Comment

Amplified Parts (AES) rocks! One of my favorite sources of luthier tools and other stuff.

Steve A.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I ordered one of the parts express L-Pads. It's hard to not try one for $13. Thanks for the heads-up Ronnie.
              Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
              Amplified Parts (AES) rocks! One of my favorite sources of luthier tools and other stuff.
              Amplified Parts is an excellent vendor. I love their sales. It's usually a big % off of the whole order.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post

Steve A.

I always see them at guitar shows. They usually have scratch and dent items for cheap on the first day.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                X